TMO Quick Tip - OpenDNS: Managing Your Internet Access
by , 9:15 AM EDT, September 5th, 2008
Most people never think about the Domain Name Servers their ISP provides, and for the most part they probably handle their part in serving up Web pages just fine. If you want more control over content the Internet feeds you, however, your service provider's DNS services may well fall short. That's where OpenDNS comes in.
First, a quick DSN primer: Domain Name Servers handle to process of converting the URLs you enter in your Web browser into the addresses that identify the Web site you are viewing. For example, if you type www.apple.com in your Web browser, a DNS server will change that to 220.127.116.11.
Here's what makes OpenDNS better: OpenDNS lets you block content you don't want on your network or computer, it includes a built-in phishing scam protection system, supports domain blocking, and fixes typos in the URLs you enter. It also includes statistics tracking so you can see what type of Internet activities are happening on your network.
Add the OpenDNS servers to your Network Preferences.
To add the OpenDNS servers in Mac OSX 10.5, do this:
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Select the Network Preference Pane.
- Select your network connection from the column on the left, and then click the Advanced button.
- Choose the DNS tab.
- Click the Plus button to add a new DNS server, and then enter 18.104.22.168
- Click the Plus button again and enter 22.214.171.124
- Click OK
- Click Apply
OpenDNS is free, and you can sign up at the OpenDNS Web site.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.Jeff Gamet is TMO's Managing Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
- Tue,3:50 PM
- Mac Window Management Made Easier
- 2:45 PM
- USB-C Flash Drive for MacBook to Ship in June From Patriot
- 1:31 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-04-28: AAPL Q2 2015 Earnings Report Wrap Up
- 10:52 AM
- 6 Handy Apple Watch Apps for Travelers
- 8:55 AM
- My Three Favorite Apple Watch Tips
- Mon,8:17 PM
- Apple Plans to be Part of Coming Big Media Changes
- 7:15 PM
- Tim Cook on Poor iPad Sales: ‘It is what it is’
- 6:26 PM
- After Hours Market Likes Apple’s Record Q2 Earnings
- 6:10 PM
- MCX Member Best Buy To Accept Apple Pay
- 5:55 PM
- SKEYE Nano Drone Fits in Your Hand: $34.99
- 5:33 PM
- Tim Cook: Apple Watch Coming to Other Countries in Late June
- 5:15 PM
- Apple Bumps Dividend 11 Percent, Expands Shareholder Returns to $200 Billion