Asante has released a series of drivers allowing OS X Beta users to take advantage of a number of Asante products. Users of a number of Asanteis PCI networking cards, including the GigaNIC series, can now get support for OS X. This release marks some of the first "exotic" drivers to be available for the new OS, joining Neweris processor upgrade OS X software. According to Asante:
Asante Technologies today announced the release of new Mac OS X beta drivers for a number of popular Asante products.
"Weive made it easy for our users to download the new drivers," says Nghiep Le, Software Engineer at Asante. "Users can go to the iBeta Driversi folder on the Asante website, at http://www.asante.com/support/support.html. Just grab the entire folder i...kext,i and then drop it into your iSystem:Library:Extensionsi in Mac OS X," said Le.
When Apple finalizes Mac OS X next year, Asante will release its final drivers.
Apple System Requirements
Before downloading Asanteis drivers, users should be aware of the following requirements:
- Systems compatible with Mac OS X Public Beta: iMac, iBook, all Power Macintosh G3 desktops, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G4 Cube and PowerBooks introduced after September 1998.
- A minimum of 128MB of Memory (RAM) is recommended for using the Public Beta. Mac OS 9.0.4 must be currently installed.
- Asante Fast 10/100 PCI Card PN #99-00590-07.
For the new driver, please download the folder AsanteFast.kext.
- GigaNIX Gigabit Ethernet Adapter 1000 Base T PN # 99-00645-07.
For the new driver, please download the folder AsanteGigaNIX.kext
- Asante GigaNIC 1064SX PCI PN # 99-00511-07.
For the new driver, please download the folder AsanteGigaNIC.kext
You can find more information about the products and new drivers at the Asante web site