St. Clair Software has released an update to Default Folder, their excellent Classic Mac OS navigation utility. The new version corrects some bugs and adds support for Acrobat 5 and Photoshop 6.0.1. According to St. Clair Software:
Default Folder is a Mac OS 9 savvy control panel that enhances Open and Save dialog boxes to make it easier for Macintosh users to manage their files. It provides many of the essential features of the commercial ACTION Files, SuperBoomerang, and Directory Assistance utilities, but distinguishes itself by not including some infrequently used extras. By doing this, Default Folder provides faster, more stable, more memory-efficient operation than competitive offerings. Default Folder is also fully compatible with both Navigation Services and "classic" Open and Save dialogs.
Default Folder 3.1.1 includes compatibility fixes for users of Photoshop 6.0.1, Acrobat Reader 5, and Omnis databases. There are also corrections for issues with Default Folderis Get Info command, keyboard navigation, and registration code entry. All existing Default Folder users are encouraged to download this free update.
Highlights of the changes in Default Folder 3.1.1 include:
- Default Folder now supports the new Navigation Services dialogs used by Adobe Acrobat 5 and Photoshop 6.0.1.
- Corrected a problem that could cause Omnis database queries to execute slowly.
- Cmd-up-arrow now works correctly in Navigation Services dialogs under Mac OS 8.6.
- "Click on greyed-out filenames" in Navigation Services save dialogs no longer stops functioning when users tab from the file listing to the filename box.
- Fixed a bug that could disable registration code entry on Japanese and French systems.
- Corrected an error that could cause Get Info comments to be truncated or missing in Default Folderis Get Info window.
Default Folder will operate on any Macintosh running System 7 or higher, including Mac OS 9.1 and the Classic environment of OS X.
You can find more information and download links at St. s Web site. The new version is a free update to registered users of version 3.x, and for users of version 2.x who registered after January 31, 1998 (US$15 for those who registered after that). Default Folder is priced at US$25.