Maxum Development Corp. has released a major update for Rumpus, bringing it to version 2.0. Rumpus 2.0 is a FTP server package with new features as well as Mac OS X support. According to Maxum:
Earlier today, Maxum Development Corp. released Rumpus 2.0, a major update to the companyis high-performance FTP server package. The new version adds a number of important new features and capabilities, and runs natively under Mac OS X (as well as Classic Mac OS).
While Apple Computeris Mac OS X Server includes FTP services, Maxum hopes Rumpus on OS X will satisfy two important needs. First, Rumpus fills a niche as a dedicated FTP server for administrators who donit need all of the services, complexity and expense of OS X Server. Second, Rumpus offers a significantly more flexible and "Mac-like" alternative to the Unix-ported server built into Mac OS X Server.
As with the recent Mac OS X release of PageSentry, Maxumis Internet server failure recovery package, the new version is not merely a port to OS X but offers a number of compelling enhancements as well:
- Upload Notices - When new files are uploaded to the server, Rumpuscan now notify the administrator (or anyone else) by sending an e-mail or take other action by executing an AppleScript. Upload Notices can be assigned to individual user accounts, allowing different actions to be taken based on who uploaded the file.
- Folder Sets - Rumpusi built-in security mechanism has been extended to allow administrators to set access privileges to individual folders on the server. A "Folder Set" can be created that increases or restricts user access rights, then quickly be applied to any number of individual user accounts.
- User Account Limits - User access can now be restricted to a set ransfer rate, by a quota defined by the ratio of uploads to downloads, and by simultaneous connections using a single user account. Setting a maximum transfer rate, for example, allows the Rumpus administrator to restrict bandwidth allocated to each user, ensuring even performance among all users.
- Direct HTTP User Account Management - User accounts can now be managed remotely using Rumpusi stand-alone Web administration server. Rumpus will also still function as a CGI for use with popular Mac OS Web servers.
- Enhanced Security - A user-selectable encryption key can now be used to secure the Rumpus user database, adding additional security, especially on servers running other applications in addition to Rumpus. Version 2.0 also includes all previous security updates to block known denial of service attacks.
You can find more information about Rumpus 2.0 at the Maxum Development Corp. Web site. Rumpus 2.0 standard version starts at US$79.00.