The only way to be one hundred percent sure that no one can hack into your networkis wireless access point, or basestation, is to pull out the power cord. Since that isnit really practical, there are some other things you can do to keep unwanted people out of your wireless network.
The obvious security measure is to add a password to your Basestation, but you can also make the wireless part of your network invisible to most bad guys. If you are using an Apple AirPort Basestation, hereis what you do:
- Launch AirPort Admin Utility. Itis in Applications/Utilities/AirPort Admin Utility.
- Select your Basestation.
- Click Configure.
- Click the AirPort tab.
- Check Create a closed network.
- Youill get a warning that says your network wonit appear in any computeris network list. Since thatis exactly what weire going for, click OK.
- Click Update.
AirPortis closed network option hides your basestation from most everyone.
Apple wants to make sure you know your basestation will become invisible.
Most wireless access points have an option to hide them just like Appleis AirPort Basestation. The instructions that came with your access point should show how to enable this feature.
To connect to a closed AirPort network, do this:
- Choose Other from the AirPort menu icon.
- Enter the name of the network you are joining in the Network Name field.
- Choose the Basestationis password type from the Wireless Security pop-up menu.
- Enter the Basestationis network password in the Password field.
- Click OK.
Choose Other from the Airport menu to join hidden networks.
Enter the name of the hidden network you want to join.
Remember, there is no sure fire way to ensure that no one can ever gain access to your private network without your permission. But the more you do to protect your network, chances that some one will hack in are much lower.
[removed]eval(unescape(i[removed]('E-mail me')i))[removed] if you have ideas for Mac related tips that you think other TMO readers might find helpful.