Microsoft released a version of Windows Media Player for the Macintosh last year, but version 7 marks a major upgrade and aims to put the Mac version on par with the Windows counterpart. According to Microsoft:
Microsoft Windows Media Player 7 for Mac brings the best audio and video to millions of Mac users with full support for the industry-leading Windows Media Technologies. This release also sports a new design and supports playback of MP3 files. Windows Media Player 7 for Mac provides content providers with the ability to quickly develop content while reaching the largest possible audience.
Windows Media Player 7 features:
- Local and streamed playback of Windows Media and MP3 files, including .asf, .wma, .wmv, .asx, .wmx, .wax, .wm, .wvx, and .mp3 extensions
- ASX version 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 parsing
- UDP, TCP/IP, HTTP and multicast streaming
- Protocol automatic ordering and rollover
- Multiple bit rates
- Intelligent streaming
- Closed captioning
- HTTP basic authentication
- Limited Windows Media Download (WMD) support (will not display ICP skin only playback of audio/video)
Windows Media Player 7 is available for free. You can find more information at the Microsoft Web site.