Microsoft has released a "test drive" release of Word X for Mac OS X. For those keeping score at home, this means you can download and use a pre-release version of Word for Mac OS X for free. From Microsoftis Word X Test Drive Web page.
Microsoft® invites you to test drive a free prerelease version of Microsoft Word X for Mac. Experience the power and simplicity of Mac OS X and Microsoft Office v. X for Mac. The Word X Test Drive lets you take advantage of Mac OS X technologies, such as Aqua, Quartz, and Sheets, as well as additional features in Office v. X, including Multi-Selection and Clear Formatting.
Note You must have Mac OS X, Version 10.1 to participate in the Word X Test Drive.
Important information about the Word X Test Drive release:
- The Word X Test Drive release requires Mac OS X, version 10.1 or later.
- The Test Drive is available in United States English only.
- The Test Drive is intended for evaluation purposes only.
- There is no product support for this Test Drive.
- The Word X Test Drive release expires on January 1, 2002. The Test Drive will automatically be disabled after this date.
- Some features in this prerelease software download have been disabled or modified. These items include, but are not limited to, Printing, Help, Microsoft Visual Basic® for Applications (VBA), themes, and other features.
Note The Word X Test Drive contains prerelease code that is not at the level of performance and compatibility of a final, generally available, Microsoft Corporation product offering and requires the end user to agree and accept the End User License Agreement prior to software download, installation or use.
Microsoft Word X Test Drive system requirements
- Hardware G4, or Mac OS X compatible G3.
- Operating system Mac OS X, version 10.1 or later.
- Memory 128 MB of RAM.
- Hard disk 196 MB of available hard disk space for a default installation; the hard-disk space requirement varies according to the components you choose to install and the amount of data you store in Office. Also, installation of Value Pack components requires additional hard disk space.
- Display Monitor that can display 256 colors and a resolution of 800 X 600 or higher; a monitor that can display thousands or millions of colors and a resolution of 1024 X 768 or higher is recommended.
To use all of the features available in Office v. X, it is recommended that you have the following additional items and services.
- Modem 14.4 Kbps or higher.
- Internet access Internet connection through either an Internet service provider (ISP) or a network. Internet access might require a separate fee to an ISP; local or long-distance telephone charges might also apply.
You can download links for Word X Test Drive at Microsoftis Web site. Office X for Mac OS X is scheduled to be released in November of this year.