The Omni Group, developers of Mac OS X applications and game ports, announce the latest version of OmniWeb, the only web browser built specifically for Mac OS X. OmniWeb uses Mac OS Xis graphics engine to produce great looking smooth text that looks like a printed page, takes full advantage of multiple processors for extra speed, and is truly designed around the Aqua user interface, with drawers, sheets, customizable toolbars and more.
"OmniWeb has around half a million users right now, and this release is for them," added Wil Shipley, President of The Omni Group. "Our share of the browser market has been steadily increasing since Mac OS X started shipping, because OmniWeb is the only browser designed for Mac OS X exclusively. For example, OmniWeb uses sub-pixel positioning to render text, so web pages look like printed pages. Mac people notice the difference."
New Features since 4.0:
- Increased Compatibility:
- Greatly improved Java support
- Improved CSS support
- iCompatibilityi settings which allow you to masquerade as a different web browser for gaining access to Web sites that restrict users based on browser
- Support for Netscape-style browser plugins including Macromediais Flash 6 browser plugin.
- Many browser plugins, Flash included, perform better in OmniWeb than other browsers since we give them dedicated processing time
Easier to use
- Improved preferences interface
- Software Update built in which notifies you when new versions of OmniWeb are available
- iSend Feedbacki Item in Help menu allows user to easily send us feedback e-mail
- Integration with the Dock to display the number of updated bookmarks overlayed on the dock icon
- Improved downloads window
- Speech Recognition allows you to surf the web and perform many operations in OmniWeb using voice commands
- OmniWeb honors your System preferences for proxy servers
- OmniWeb ships localized into 17 languages; new to 4.1 is support for Greek, Icelandic, Korean, Portugese & Brazilian Portugese, and Russian
- OmniWeb now features support for AppleScript allowing users to script the application as well as providing support for third-party bookmark and history managers such as URL Manager Pro
OmniWeb 4.1 is a free update to registered users, while the full version is priced at US$29.95 for the full version. The Omni Group offers a free trial for the product, as well. You can find more information and download links for OmniWeb at the companyis Web site.