"WheatoniX Is Quite Possibly The Most Advanced And Revolutionary Operating System The World Will Ever See. Quite Possibly."
--Donald Knuthe, 2002
We noted that the folks over at ThinkGeek had a dandy April Foolis story, and wanted to pass it along. Playing on *nix, Mac OS X, and even Windows XP, the site has "introduced" a new OS. This new operating system--WheatoniX--developed by Wil Wheaton of Star Trek fame himself, is cross compatible with all existing operating systems, and is set to ship today. Retailing at US$29.99, this new OS may have everything we, the next generation of computer users, need.
WheatoniX is a "recursive acronym, standing for WheatoniX Has Everything A Techie Obviously Needs Including letter X." We donit doubt the assertion. Just look at a sampling of the OS specs, from the ThinkGeek article:
- fully preemptive, multi-threading, multi-tasking, ultra low latency microkernel architecture
- new InstaBoot¨ technology shortens OS loading to 3-5 seconds, and no rebooting necessary even for kernel replacements or upgrades
- supports x86 (PIII, P4, Athlon, Athlon MP, Athlon XP), Hammer, Itanium, Crusoe, Alpha, MIPS, SPARC, StrongARM, G4, G5 and more
- partitions up to 256TB natively supported
- customize any aspect of the filesystem in minutes using Digdug¨, our integrated filesystem creation and management language
For more of a VERY funny spoof, check out the fool article for yourself.