DIRECTV released an app for the satellite TV service’s settop boxes Tuesday. DIRECTV App for iPad allows users to use their iPads as remote controls, view their channel guide, and manage their DIRECTV DVR Playlist, including the ability to instantly record a show. Users can also access sports scores, team schedules, and monitor specific teams designated as favorites.
DIRECTV release notes:
- Highly customizable remote control functionality right on your iPad.
- Browse and discover movies, shows and sports - without interrupting the show you are currently watching on TV.
- Set recordings or channel tune instantly, and access more information on shows, cast & crew, with parental ratings.
- Access sports scores and schedules and set your favorite teams.
HOME SCREEN (Customizable modules)
- Currently Watching – More information about the show you are watching now and suggestions for similar shows.
- Guide Favorites – List of favorite channels selected through the Guide.
- Channel Guide – Displays up to 14 days of upcoming shows for a selected channel.
- Favorite Channels – Create user preferred lists of channels (by category, his or her list, etc.)
- QuickTune – One-touch selection of your favorite channels by name or icon.
- News Channels – All the news channels in one module.
- Kids & Family – All the kids & family friendly channels in one module.
- Sports – Browse available sports events and scores by game or favorite teams.
DEDICATED TABS (Playlist, Guide, Movies and Sports)
- Organize and view all of your recorded content by poster or list view.
- View list of recorded content for each receiver.
- Search listings up to 14 days in advance by traditional grid view or selected channel.
- View show descriptions, Cast & Crew, Photos, Suggestions & Parental Information.
- Change channels, set recordings and get more information.
- Customize the guide by favorite channels.
- View current sports matchups and scores by league, with the option to watch or record.
The app is free, but most of the features are intended for DIRECTV customers only.
DIRECTV App for iPad Screenshot, showing Currently Wacthing, Fav Channels, and some sports crap