If you ordered your brand new iPhone 5 from Apple and haven't received your UPS tracking number yet, you can still find it and see where your smartphone is sitting -- as long as you know your phone number.
Here's what to do:
- Go to the UPS website and look for the package tracking field.
- Click More options.
- Select Track by Reference.
- Enter the phone number you used when you placed your order in the Shipment Reference field.
- Set the date range to fall around the shipping and delivery window for your new iPhone.
- Enter your country and ZIP code.
- Click Track.
UPS lets you track your iPhone delivery even if Apple hasn't sent you a tracking number
This trick works only if you ordered from Apple and it's shipping via UPS, which probably accounts for a substantial number of iPhone 5 pre-orders. Of course, your iPhone won't get to you any faster, but at least you can see when it's getting closer.