Apple has released a new version of iDVD, the companyis DVD burning software for G4s. iDVD 2 is only available for Mac OS X 10.1, and many of the new features are Mac OS X dependent. Other new features include enhanced menu capabilities. From Apple:
Apple® today announced the immediate availability of iDVD 2, the next generation of the worldis easiest-to-use application for creating DVDs that play in consumer DVD players. Developed to take full advantage of Mac® OS X version 10.1, iDVD 2 is the first consumer application that enables users to add the eye-catching impact of motion video in menu buttons and backgrounds on their DVDs.
With iDVD 2, users can create the DVDis menu using new professionally designed motion video and still themes, or with their own custom menus design. iDVD 2 is available as an upgrade for iDVD owners, and it is included on Appleis Power Mac G4 867 MHz and dual 800 MHz configurations with SuperDrive, a combination CD-RW/DVD-R drive.
"DVD is perhaps the most rapidly growing media format ever, and Apple has the leading DVD authoring solutions for both professionals and consumers," said David Moody, Appleis senior director of Applications Marketing. "With iDVD 2, users can create sophisticated DVDs complete with Hollywood-style motion menus by just dragging and dropping."
To add motion video to the DVDis menu buttons or background, users simply drag and drop iMovie videos or QuickTime® files into the iDVD 2 interface. iDVD 2 also allows users to:
- create DVDs based on Appleis professionally designed themes, featuring motion backgrounds and menus, that assist in the layout and organization of the DVD project;
- take advantage of multitasking in Mac OS X v10.1 to simultaneously encode the DVD, even as the project is being built;
- create DVDs that include up to 90 minutes of material;
- create slide shows of their favorite digital photos, accompanied by music; and
- record DVDs with a single click on the Power Mac G4is revolutionary SuperDrive combination CD-RW/DVD-R drive.
Pricing and Availability
iDVD 2 requires a Power Mac G4 with an Apple SuperDrive, Mac OS X v10.1 and 256 MB of RAM. iDVD 2 is available now in English, French, German and Japanese as an upgrade package for iDVD owners through Appleis Mac OS Up-to-Date program.
You can find more information on iDVD 2 at Appleis Web site. Interestingly, it cost US$19.95 to upgrade to iDVD 2, despite the fact that iDVD was free. Upgrade information can also be found at Appleis Web site.