The tool is available for OS X, Windows, and Linux, and requires an iDevice that is capable of running iOS 6.1. This list includes:
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPad 2
- iPad (third-generation)
- iPad (fourth-generation)
- iPad mini
- iPod touch (fourth-generation)
- iPod touch (fifth-generation)
- Apple TV (second-generation)
Due to the way that the third-generation Apple TV’s firmware is coded, jailbreak support is unfortunately not available at this time and, in fact, may never arrive.
The evad3rs team suggests that users attempting to jailbreak their device take note of the following factors and recommendations:
- Perform a full backup of your device and content via iTunes or iCloud before starting the process.
- Disable the passcode lock if already enabled.
- Do not attempt to use iTunes or iOS during the jailbreak process.
- If the process fails, it is safe to reboot the device and restart the jailbreak tool.
If things go significantly awry, you may have to place the device into recovery mode. Apple provides an explanation and instructions for that process.
The iOS 6.1 jailbreak is in high-demand, so users experiencing trouble downloading the tool should be encouraged to try again later in the day. Also note that evad3rs has set up a PayPal account for those that wish to show their appreciation for the team’s efforts.