iPhone OS 3.0 added support for multimedia text messages, or MMS, but AT&T didn't turn on the feature for it's iPhone toting subscribers for a few months. MMS is available now, and it's easy to add to your iPhone3G or iPhone 3GS.
To upgrade your iPhone for MMS support, do this:
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS to your computer.
- Select your iPhone in the Library column on the left side of the iTunes window.
iTunes carrier update dialog
- Click Check for Update under the Summary tab.
- iTunes should display a dialog telling you a carrier update is available. Click Download and Update.
- iTunes will display a dialog once the update is complete. Click OK.
- Restart your iPhone.
iTunes lets you know when the MMS update is installed.
Once your iPhone restarts, you'll be able to send photos in text messages, and if you use an iPhone 3GS you can send videos, too. Unfortunately, first generation iPhone owners can't play along since the carrier update isn't available for their model.