Tonight Apple released iTunes 8.1 through both Software Update and via a direct download available online. The accompanying release notes indicate that the update to Apple's Music, Movie, and TV Show management software is now more responsive and syncs with iPods and iPhones faster. It also adds a few new features, including:
- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
- Includes many accessibility improvements.
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.
iTunes 8.1 is available through Software Update on your Mac as well as from Apple's website. The update installs without requiring a reboot of your Mac or a reindex of your iTunes Library. Just install, launch, agree to the new EULA (naturally!) and you're in action.