A commuter train in Japan was stopped for an emergency check after passengers complained of burning smell that turned out to be an iPod that overheated and burst open, according to Reuters.
“When a member of staff went to investigate inside the train, a passenger came over showing him that the iPod she was listening to had burst apart,” a train spokesperson told the media.
The incident happened on the Setegaya Ward in Tokyo during rush hour travel. While many people were delayed on their way to work, no one was injured.
Just last week Apple updated it’s Web site in Japan to comply with a government order to tell customers how they could get defective first generation iPod nanos replaced for overheating issues. According to Apple, a small number of the iPods were build with a batch of defective batteries.
It’s unclear, however, if the iPod that overheated and burst open on the commuter train was a first generation nano.