This has got to be one of the most interesting and beautiful speaker docks I have seen. It's called Eight, and it's a natural acoustic amplifier for the speaker in your iPhone 5 or 5s. It's made of wood—the dark part is walnut, while the light middle section is birdseye maple—and it funnels the sound from your speaker to one side, using the properties of wood and the shape of Eight to amplify that sound. The other side serves as a receiver for your iPhone's microphone so you can use Eight for phone calls. There are no electronics other than your iPhone involved, though it has a slot for an included Lightning cable to charge your iPhone. I haven't heard Eight, but it's a beautiful design and a fascinating idea. It's also pricey at $288—but that's because it's made from solid pieces of wood, hand-crafted, and hand-oiled. The company making Eight—Stark Design—is making each Eight to order, requiring 2-4 weeks before you get it.
Recent News See All »
- 7 Things We Learned when Fortune Named Tim Cook World’s Greatest Leader
- Apple’s App Store, iTunes, iBooks, Software Update Briefly Down for Some Users
- Amazon Adds Unlimited Storage Options to Cloud Drive
- Apple Tasks Jimmy Iovine, Trent Reznor with Making a Spotify Competitor
- Apple TV Adds CNNgo Channel