This has got to be one of the most interesting and beautiful speaker docks I have seen. It's called Eight, and it's a natural acoustic amplifier for the speaker in your iPhone 5 or 5s. It's made of wood—the dark part is walnut, while the light middle section is birdseye maple—and it funnels the sound from your speaker to one side, using the properties of wood and the shape of Eight to amplify that sound. The other side serves as a receiver for your iPhone's microphone so you can use Eight for phone calls. There are no electronics other than your iPhone involved, though it has a slot for an included Lightning cable to charge your iPhone. I haven't heard Eight, but it's a beautiful design and a fascinating idea. It's also pricey at $288—but that's because it's made from solid pieces of wood, hand-crafted, and hand-oiled. The company making Eight—Stark Design—is making each Eight to order, requiring 2-4 weeks before you get it.
Recent News See All »
Popular Stories See All »
Recent Editorials See All »
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Apple Kills the Thunderbolt Display - Will the Mac Pro Be Next?
- Apple Discontinues Thunderbolt Display, Directs Customers to Unspecified 3rd Party Displays
- Elgato Eve, an App for Controlling Smart Devices
- 6 Things I Learned about Apple from Gruber’s Interview with Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi