Meet Susan Bennett, the voice actor whose work became the original voice of Siri—for the record, my internal jury is still out on Siri's new voices in iOS 7. In the video below, you can hear elements of Siri's speech; at the same time, you get the tiniest glimpse of the monumental effort it takes to turn recordings of nonsense strings of words into a synthesized voice, because Susan Bennett and Siri are not exact matches. As a voice actor paid by the hour, Ms. Bennett didn't know what she was being hired for by Nuance (the Dragon Speech and Dragon Dictate folks) in 2005. She didn't find out until until 2011—when Apple released the iPhone 4S and Siri—when "a colleague e-mailed me [about Siri] and said, 'Hey, we've been playing around with this new Apple phone. Isn't this you?'" CNN's companion article also has some interesting info.
Recent News See All »
- Apple Will Reportedly Announce MacBook Air with Retina Display on March 9th
- Apple’s Security Contractors are about to Become Employees
- Apple Working on Settlement with A123 after Hiring Battery Employees
- David Sparks Debuts ‘Workflow Video Field Guide’ for iOS Automation
- Gartner Says Apple Beat Samsung in Smartphones in December Quarter
Popular Stories See All »
- Samsung Innovation: Samsung Pay and an iPhone 6 Lookalike
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Beta goes Public with Photos App
- Apple Death Knell #68: Apple’s Stock Will Collapse Because iPhone Is Too Important
- What to Expect During Apple’s March 9 Media Event
- Mac Users Have Fallen Out of Love with Personal Databases, But Why?