Over the past few days I've had the pleasure to play with and listen to the latest offering from Sonos, the PLAY:1, and I'm amazed. They've either discovered magic or decided to lower their margins because, at US$199, the PLAY:1 now opens the door for many more prospective Sonos customers than before without sacrificing any quality at all. Yes, compared to the now middle(-sized) Sonos child (the PLAY:3) the PLAY:1 sounds different, but to my ears neither better nor worse. The new PLAY:1 has a bit more midrange than the PLAY:3 but that's just fine. The size and the price of this make it either a perfect entry point for someone into the Sonos world, or a perfect add-on for the kitchen or bedroom where you're wishing you had a Sonos unit. Buy two and you're in stereo mode. Or add 'em to your Playbar for true rear-channel surround sound. We went into a longer discussion about it during today's Mac Geek Gab #470 if you want to hear more (along with the story of how I set them up).
Recent News See All »
Popular Stories See All »
Recent Editorials See All »
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Apple Kills the Thunderbolt Display - Will the Mac Pro Be Next?
- Apple Discontinues Thunderbolt Display, Directs Customers to Unspecified 3rd Party Displays
- Elgato Eve, an App for Controlling Smart Devices
- 6 Things I Learned about Apple from Gruber’s Interview with Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi