Thanks to portable technology, pets can now scan neighborhood wifi networks. Wired reports on an upcoming DefCon talk from Gene Bransfield titled "How To Weaponize Your Pets", which is less a security talk and more a presentation of a clever way to find unsecured networks in the immediate area. Using a Spark Core board and the skills of the cat's human to sew a collar for it, he discovered more than a third of the hotspots in the area were less than secure. He says he did this for fun, but hopefully discovering a cat could detect open wifi networks might prompt some people to adjust their networks accordingly.
Recent News See All »
- Firefighters Take on Blaze at Apple’s Former Sapphire Glass Factory [Update]
- Hold on to Your Pants, Siri, Microsoft’s Cortana is Coming to iPhone
- Local Content Deals to Delay Apple’s Streaming TV Plans
- Apple Promotes Jony Ive to Chief Design Officer, Creates VPs for Hardware and UI Design
- Google Study Finds ‘Security Questions’ Next to Useless