Thanks to portable technology, pets can now scan neighborhood wifi networks. Wired reports on an upcoming DefCon talk from Gene Bransfield titled "How To Weaponize Your Pets", which is less a security talk and more a presentation of a clever way to find unsecured networks in the immediate area. Using a Spark Core board and the skills of the cat's human to sew a collar for it, he discovered more than a third of the hotspots in the area were less than secure. He says he did this for fun, but hopefully discovering a cat could detect open wifi networks might prompt some people to adjust their networks accordingly.
Recent News See All »
- Safari Offers Longer Battery Life than Chrome or Firefox
- New Patents Hint at Apple Texture-simulating Uber Stylus
- Apple Campus 2 Will Have Full Blown Visitor Center with Store, Cafe, Observation Deck
- Photoshop CS6 Stragglers Out of Luck for Camera Raw Updates
- Buy iPhone 6 from T-Mobile Now, Swap for iPhone 6s for Free, Apple Music Exempt from Data Limits