What do you do when bored at work?

• Posted: 03 July 2001 10:42 PM

Hello Observers!

I was sitting at my desk at work today, rather bored. And so I did what I often do when I have nothing to do, which is play on the web. So here I am. And I’m curious what you all do when you’re bored at work.

So what’s the best time-killer when sitting in a cubicle with nothing to do?

I’m rather partial to the “stare out the window at the freeway traffic” time killer.

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 20 June 2001 11:40 AM #1

Post responses in the MacObserver forums!

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 20 June 2001 12:08 PM #2

Ditto….

I frequent all types of message boards and forums, and I post not only when bored, but also during long open/save periods with large files.

Hey, they’re paying me to sit there while I save anyway…

Signature

“Instead of leaving, they’re staying in droves.”
    -Heddey Lamar.

“That’s HEADLEY”

• Posted: 25 June 2001 08:50 AM #3

I surf the web - but my company has been filtering more and more sites. The latest is that all major gaming sites are now blocked - even Inside Mac Games! This one has me really pissed off.

I also visit with my attractive, blonde, extremely fit female friend…

Posted: 25 June 2001 09:47 AM #4

Wow, it’s almost cool that a Mac gaming site would rise to the notice of the corporate watchdogs. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 10:43 PM #5

What kind of people ARE you!? Wasting valuable company time and money… jeez, I’m a pillar of moral fortitude compared to you lazy bums. 

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-26 01:44 ]</font>

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:17 PM #6

I was thinking the same thing David.  Pillar of Moral Fortitude, I like that

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:34 PM #7

I know what I will do. I’m gonna post to these forums. They rule!!

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:23 AM #8

Fortunately, as an analyst, I don’t have the luxury of free time, except for lunch hour - and most often I am trying to wear away the excess calories of the forbidden fruit (often called chocolate and sugar! ).

Actually I have been at this job for one year, and I have only had one or two days where I had to find things to do.

My other two part-time jobs don’t have any built in free time.

Oh, yeah, I slept once last week.

Beige G3/300/128MB/OS 8.6
    Nisus Writer/PageMaker/Office 2001/FrameMaker

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shades on 2001-06-27 13:24 ]</font>

Signature

patience - now that’s a virtue I can’t wait for!

Posted: 27 June 2001 12:56 PM #9

Ha!  That’s funny. 

Speaking of which, I love the Smiley with the headset:  )

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 27 June 2001 05:59 PM #10

As a freelancer you work when you have to, and go off to do other stuff when you don’t.  The down side of this is you acutally have to work, not just pretend to work.

• Posted: 30 June 2001 05:51 PM #11

This doesn’t happen often but I usually catch up on email or post to my high school website.  Yea, I actually graduated - even if it was close to 30 years ago.  Then If I still don’t have anything to do - I try to teach people how to use their computers more effectively.  Sometimes I actually make progress.  And since my office has the printer and the fax machines I have to at least look busy. :=)

Signature

``You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man’s freedom. You can only be free if I am free.’’ - Clarence Darrow

Pat

• Posted: 01 July 2001 12:44 AM #12

I read a book for three out of the four hours a day I work. I support and maintain computers in the gaming industry. We have 1300 computers and when they are properly set up I just watch them make money. But that gets boring after awhile so I try to always have a good book handy.

Posted: 01 July 2001 12:49 AM #13

Interesting, Aphelion.  What kind of computers are they?

Signature

• Posted: 01 July 2001 01:01 AM #14

On 2001-06-27 20:59, Burnum wrote:
    As a freelancer you work when you have to, and go off to do other stuff when you don’t.  The down side of this is you acutally have to work, not just pretend to work.

Good Post Burnum! You’ll never work as hard as when you work for yourself. My previous post seems as an antiphathy for the work ethic you so justly put forth. But I’d like to point out that at a later stage in the game it is possible to find an interesting and satisfying nitch where the involvement has been made up front, and the rest is cruise control

• Posted: 01 July 2001 01:08 AM #15

On 2001-07-01 03:49, Bryan wrote:
    Interesting, Aphelion.  What kind of computers are they?

Up late Bryan?  Thanks for the moral support in another forum here, or were you egging me on with “Preach on Brother”

Well I don’t want to sound like an “insider” but I’m afraid I shouldn’t say in this forum. NDA’s and all that. But I’ll answer three questions truthfully and send you a C Note (Not C#)if you can guess.