What do you do when bored at work?

• Posted: 01 July 2001 01:12 AM #16

but come back quick, Bryan, I’m dead tired and going to turn in soon…

Posted: 01 July 2001 01:24 AM #17

Hey Aphelion,

I was definitely offering support with my “Preach on!” 

Three questions…

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 01 July 2001 01:27 AM #18

On 2001-07-01 04:24, Bryan wrote:
    Hey Aphelion,

I was definitely offering support with my “Preach on!” 

Three questions…

Thanks for the support, I thought you were…

Posted: 01 July 2001 01:40 AM #19

I am afraid that I am WAY too tired to think of even one good question to determine your platform.  My apologies.  My inclination is to say that you are administrating a Unix network if you can come with 4-5 hours in a shift to read.  It’s too much to hope that it’s a Mac network. 

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 01 July 2001 01:47 AM #20

I’ll give you a clue (and a good one) and overnight to think of three brainy questions (another clue!) BUT cut the prize for correct guess to $50.00. 

I’ll check tomorrow for question One

OH and the clue: Motorola Processor

good luck!

Posted: 01 July 2001 02:04 AM #21

Ok, I am taking the plunge and making my first question “Are the computers in your company’s network Macs?”

Signature

• Posted: 01 July 2001 06:29 AM #22

On 2001-07-01 05:04, Bryan wrote:
    Ok, I am taking the plunge and making my first question “Are the computers in your company’s network Macs?”

Nope, they are not networked either, but of the 1300 (in total) I work with typically 300 to 400 users at a time.  Last night was a bit bigger with 620 systems.

for $50 - Name the computer. Second Question?

bonus clue - DragonBall

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aphelion on 2001-07-01 09:31 ]</font>

Posted: 01 July 2001 02:33 PM #23

I am going to sneak in two questions in one:  Are they slot machines or video poker/slot machine?

Signature

• Posted: 01 July 2001 09:27 PM #24

On 2001-07-01 17:33, Bryan wrote:
    I am going to sneak in two questions in one:  Are they slot machines or video poker/slot machine?

Getting warmer!  But nope… One more question to go. Would you like to buy a clue Bryan?

Posted: 01 July 2001 10:19 PM #25

Yes!

Signature

• Posted: 02 July 2001 05:56 AM #26

THE FINAL CLUE !  It is a handheld, but not a Palm or Handspring. It uses a Motorola Dragonball ARM cored processor. it has a keyboard and a screen. It loads programs via a cartridge. To be used, after loading the program from cartridge, the data set is keyed in by hand. The program works by acting on the data set, with additional data keyed in by the end user. A random number generator is used, a full description of which will give this away.

NAME THE COMPUTER USED: I’ll still give a C-note for that one.

NAME THE GAME: consolation prize - Apple “chub” pen

failure on both penalty:  I get to use your sig… with proper attribute.

Apple Chub Pen bonus prize for first reader to e-mail me with answer to “name that game” posting on this board 1st = disqualification.

edit = spelling & reader prize (giving Bryan a chance to post first)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aphelion on 2001-07-02 09:11 ]</font>

Posted: 02 July 2001 10:34 AM #27

The machine is a Game Boy.

I am totally clueless on the game. 

Even if I am right, you may use my sig line. 

Signature

• Posted: 02 July 2001 06:44 PM #28

Nice try Bryan, but wrong.  To come up with the name of the machine would have taken a miracle, it is so off the mainstream.  Making a living in the gaming industry makes me think seriously before offering 100 bucks for anything - I would have paid though if you got lucky…

I will however, describe the “random number generator” to you.

75 uniformly spherical objects, which are numbered in series from 1 to 75, are placed in a chamber where they are aerodynamicly accererated under air pressure.  a port is opened at the top of the chamber and the pressure differential between the chamber and the ambient atmosphere forces one of the spheres (at random) up a central tube in the chamber where it is captured and read.

Name the game Bryan, and I’ll send the Apple pen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aphelion on 2001-07-02 21:46 ]</font>

Posted: 02 July 2001 09:04 PM #29

LOTTO!

Wait, that’s not handheld…

Signature

• Posted: 03 July 2001 03:40 AM #30

Well, that’s closer. Bryan, what other game uses the same random number generator as Lotto?  Your Grandmother probably plays this game. If she used my device she would have better odds…

For one final chance at the Deluxe Apple Chub pen (a $39.95 value!)...