Apple vs. Dell in a fight for Michigan

• Posted: 06 October 2003 08:04 AM

130,000 laptops.  The largest single laptop purchase in history.
    156 million dollars for the muuti-year plan.

I know a few Michigan teachers that love Apple, but have seen them fazed (fased?) out for pcs by the admins.

The Tactics:
    Looks like Apple hosted a dinner for users, and Michael Dell hosted a dinner for 60 Superintents and IT leaders.  Based on those acts, it looks like Dell will be forced onto my states unfortunate 6th graders.

This is so monumentaly important for Apple that i’m pissed SJ hasn’t shown up in person.

Showcase the better security!!!

Anyone with more details?

Signature

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Posted: 06 October 2003 08:57 AM #1

I can only hope, for the users’ sake, that Michigan opts for Apple. However, based on Apple’s poor marketing capapbilities in the past (and, given the description above, in this case, too), it seems unlikely. Apple does a good job at selling its products to those that already know about them and want to buy them. For the rest, Apple has very little marketing strategy.

Let’s just hope that recently published reports about large sales to some education authorities in the USA and the hopefully still fresh memories of Windows virus and security problems will help sway the decision.

• Posted: 06 October 2003 09:01 AM #2

I’ve moved this topic to the education forum for obvious reasons. For Apple to compete on a project of this size presents challenges. We’ll see how things progress.

• Posted: 06 October 2003 11:02 AM #3

From the comments section of the Free Press article:

“I attended that User Group dinner and apparently Apple is supposed to be sponsoring a iLife seminar for school superintendents sometime this month but no more info has been mentioned.

It was supposed to be a “Room and Board” weekend at a Michigan resort where school officials actually get to USE the iLife suite and see how productive it will make the students.

To date no more information has been released about it but if anyone knows any High Ranking Michigan officials that may be interested, I may be anle to provide some contact info on the program. If they can pull it together it would be a fantastic way to counter that Dell Dinner that Mike Dell hosted.

Also as Mac Users it is important that you mention to your school offcials that you would like the Program to provide Apple computers. If the contract goes to Dell they get Windows and Office, imagine how creative the can be in Powerpoint, Excel, and Word .vs Apple iBooks with iPhoto, iMovie, and the iLife suite. 
    —————————-
    As I mentioned in the post above, Apple is looking for letters of support that can be presented to the “Powers That Be” on how much more productive students can be by using Macs over Dells. If you have a success story or a letter of support that may help sway the decision please send it to:

Apple Computer
    10 South Wacker
    Suite 3300
    Chicago, IL 60606
    Attn: Jeff Jones

Posted by: Art Payne

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 06 October 2003 01:29 PM #4

Here’s another story on this isse from a Detroit paper.

Posted: 06 October 2003 02:34 PM #5

Supporters say the project worked well in pilot programs at 13 districts, including at two schools in Detroit.

Malcolm X Academy in the Detroit Public Schools was one of the sites. Two hours after the boxes were opened last spring, the 70 Apple iBooks were in the hands of students, said Jeff Robinson, Malcolm X’s technology coordinator. And they haven’t had any major maintenance problems beyond a couple of keys popping off, he said.

Good to hear that iBooks were used in a pilot program. That’s encouraging.

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 07 October 2003 07:05 AM #6

Well, I’m holding my breath hoping Apple wins the bid.  But, in truth, I’ll be very surprised if Apple does.  My son came home from school one day a few weeks ago and told me his high school just got a big shipment of Dells for one of the labs.  It’s hard for me to see how his school district would have 6th graders using iBooks, and then when they hit Jr. High the next year, switch back to PC’s.  Sorry, I just don’t see it.

When I read Apple had a dinner for the user’s groups, my heart sank.  Sure, some of the members have connections, but it would have been better to have SJ or some other *high-ranking* person here to make a nice solid presentation instead of having MUG members network. And, testimonial letters aren’t going to do the trick, IMO.

Signature

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.  (Paul Simon)

• Posted: 07 October 2003 07:39 AM #7

not in my backyard

I teach in Michigan, been in a PC environment as technology instructor for 4 years after several years with Macs.  I’ve managed to smuggle in a small contingent of Macs and use them for anything “cool”.
    From my position as a teacher fairly well versed in teaching with both platforms, Macs win hands down, for all the reasons anyone here already knows.
    I wish I knew how to voice my opinion, not that the experience of a “front liner” carries any weight in education…....

• Posted: 07 October 2003 07:42 AM #8

Re: not in my backyard

[quote author=“heifer”]I wish I knew how to voice my opinion, not that the experience of a “front liner” carries any weight in education…....

Heifer—I’ll repeat the above for you:

Apple is looking for letters of support that can be presented to the “Powers That Be” on how much more productive students can be by using Macs over Dells. If you have a success story or a letter of support that may help sway the decision please send it to:

Apple Computer
      10 South Wacker
      Suite 3300
      Chicago, IL 60606
      Attn: Jeff Jones

Signature

• Posted: 07 October 2003 07:45 AM #9

will do

Thanks, I’ll do that but I want to speak to our fearless leaders myself too.

• Posted: 07 October 2003 07:51 AM #10

Re: will do

[quote author=“heifer”]Thanks, I’ll do that but I want to speak to our fearless leaders myself too.

Heifer—here’s a good place to start:

http://wireless.mivu.org/

http://wireless.mivu.org/edcorner/

http://wireless.mivu.org/contactus/

Signature

• Posted: 07 October 2003 09:01 AM #11

I would like to express my support for buying Apple laptops, especially OS X, for Michigan students.

Should one write to a congressman?  A particular senator?  A schoolboard person?

?????

Thanks,
    Dr. Ledgard (Michigan resident)

• Posted: 07 October 2003 01:03 PM #12

[quote author=“hledgard”]I would like to express my support for buying Apple laptops, especially OS X, for Michigan students.

Should one write to a congressman?  A particular senator?  A schoolboard person?

?????

Thanks,
    Dr. Ledgard (Michigan resident)

More Michigan contact information has been posted in this new forum topic dedicated to this purpose.

• Posted: 07 October 2003 07:06 PM #13

How frustrating…

I’m bummed that SJ hasn’t made any arrangements to head to Michigan and woo the higher-ups in the school district. I sincerely believe that he could seal the deal - the man is a master at that. Plus, there are so many valid arguments as to why the state should choose Macs. AAAARGH!

I’m hopin’ they select the Mac platform. But I’m not too optimistic at this point.

• Posted: 08 October 2003 07:15 AM #14

I think it’s up to individual districts

I’m not sure, but I think the choice of vendor ultimately falls to each district.  The state says ” you may choose from Apple, Dell, Gateway…. and the districts make the pick.  That’s what I was told.
    That’s the way it worked for the TTI program that put laptops in teacher’s hands three years ago.  My district (Grand Rapids Public, second largest in state) let us pick from either Dell, or Apple as I recall.  I can’t imagine the state wouldn’t approve Apple’s package at that level as many schools are Mac heavy.  The fight then falls to the distric level where common sense and attention to best educational practices are completely irrelevant (jaded, ain’t I?)
    BTW the TTI thing three years ago was a joke, the Dells were so amazingly inferior to the iBooks that for anyone with 2 IQ points to rub together the choice was a no-brainer.
    All I want is for educators to have a choice so they can do their job the best way, Mac, PC, whatever works best.

• Posted: 08 October 2003 07:28 AM #15

Heifer—

The “choose-your-vendor” TTI program was the *old* program; the new program is the single-vendor one-to-one laptop initiative. That’s what this is all about.

However, each district does have the option of being included or *not* being included—and quite a few districts have chosen *not* to be included…ironically, because they’re afraid of the “support costs being too high” (which would, of course, be the case if they end up going with Dell…)

Signature