Mac OS X 10.0.4 released

• Posted: 21 June 2001 07:05 PM #16

Any idea whether or not iSub support has been added yet?  I’m away on vacation and only have access to my family’s Compaq laptop.  My iMac speakers sound very weak and “tinny” in Mac OS X without the iSub.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 21 June 2001 07:07 PM #17

The Finder definitely feels snappier - and I’m running 10.0.4 on a rev. A iMac with 96Mb memory. Maybe it’s just pre-binding, but I didn’t see this kind of speed-up with any of the previous updates. Now, if I can just swing for that memory upgrade! : )

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 21 June 2001 07:41 PM #18

No iSub support yet… Maybe next time.  I can’t wait till then.  My MP3’s sound terrible with out it.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 08:39 PM #19

On 2001-06-21 22:41, Anonymous wrote:
    No iSub support yet… Maybe next time.  I can’t wait till then.  My MP3’s sound terrible with out it.

I am surprised iSub doesn’t work because my sound sticks (Harmond/Kardon) work great, and they are driven through USB to the same iSub unit (at least it looks just like the iSub).

Bill.
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

• Posted: 21 June 2001 08:54 PM #20

I can verify that app launching feels faster, some redrawing is also snappier, but could be quicker. The resizing of windows/panes is still a bit choppy. Closing apps is faster. Cinema 4D XL 6.3 Demo seems to render images much quicker, and openGL is faster in all preview modes.Nice incremental upgrade, I look forward to improved performance.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 09:01 PM #21

[From an anonymous poster: “I am surprised iSub doesn’t work because my sound sticks (Harmond/Kardon) work great, and they are driven through USB to the same iSub unit (at least it looks just like the iSub). “]

Unfortunately, though it doesn’t make sense, this iSub business is true. I too use the SoundSticks (which I LOVE), and I remember my surprise at hearing the standalone iSub wasn’t supported.

On a different subject, I want to repeat for you our staff mantra: please, everyone, register in our forums! We’re psyched to see them growing so fast (they went up just last Monday), and we hope all you “Anonymous” posters register so we can assign credit (and blame, I suppose ) where it’s due! Cheers,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ricky on 2001-06-22 00:02 ]</font>

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 21 June 2001 09:26 PM #22

Standalone iSub support isn’t here yet because unlike the soundstick package, the iSub uses a software crossover to separate the bass. The soundsticks use an actual circuitboard. No programming necessary.
    Pleeeeeze Apple! Have this ready for Macworld!
    -D

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 10:03 PM #23

Well, on my iBook 366, with 128 mb RAM, it definitely feels faster. Apps load more quickly and scrolling is snappier. It is much better than with previous upgrades. I don’t think it is just because of the prebinding, which didn’t seem to help all that much previously.

Curious, however: Okay download through Software Update, but the server does not have the straight software download. Hmmm.

I think things are gradually gettiing better.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 10:26 PM #24

The speed increases that everyone raves about after these updates are usually a natural result of having rebooting.  Give it a couple of days of hard use and it will start feeling rather slow again.

• Posted: 21 June 2001 10:51 PM #25

On my B&W G3 350, I noticed very improved scrolling speed in iTunes especially.  (maybe it will be everything… but it used to be REAL slow to scroll thru my MP3 list… Now its great… as close to instanteous..without being quite instantaneous of course)

Installing it on my iBook 500 (new one) and Im looking forward to seeing more battery time!

• Posted: 21 June 2001 11:14 PM #26

To the last Anonymous post:  I’m in California and althought I’m in L.A. (we have our own power plant) I dont keep my computer running all the time.  I usualy spend about 5 hours a day on it and then shut down.

This update seems considerably faster.  Window resizing is better albeit still slow, but its getting faster all the time.

Finder does seem more responsive, but maybe that was subliminally fed into my mind by everyone who said that was so   I read the forums before I installed it.

Anyhow, I did have the infamous coregraphicslib installed and it didnt do this much for window resizing.  I just checked the Apple Tech Note and it states that there are some ATI graphics card driver improvements (of course not in those exact words).  Also mention of better OpenGL support, apparently.

Anyhow, I’m happy   Lets hope the rumored 10.1 (Puma) makes things go super fast.

I have Mac OS X 10.0.4 installed on my iMac DV+ @ 450Mhz with 192MB RAM.  This update looks good to me

-esteban

• Posted: 22 June 2001 12:17 AM #27

On 2001-06-21 22:05, bpsmith wrote:
    Any idea whether or not iSub support has been added yet?  I’m away on vacation and only have access to my family’s Compaq laptop.  My iMac speakers sound very weak and “tinny” in Mac OS X without the iSub.

Brad

Mr. Brad Smith——you had a very good column running on macobserver.com of iQT (interactive Quicktime) ...It was the best & most informative QT column I read on the net. I would like to know whether it has been discontinued (if yes, why? ) or just being delayed ? Also your tutorials using Totally hip Live stage Pro 3 are most badly awaited ! ! ! I would request tips on making QT 5 skins, full screen QT 5 playback and advanced smil. Thank you,
    Ankush
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

• Posted: 22 June 2001 12:36 AM #28

Due to severe weather threats over the past couple of weeks, my system has been shut down/powered off several times. Before this morning’s restart, the machine had only been up 4 days.

I specifically looked for before-and-after effects, and while apps may or may not be launching faster, I can report that Finder navigation performance is dramatically improved on my G4-500 Cube with 640MB. Also, Classic is taking measurably less CPU while idle. Previously I measured 9-12% CPU consumed with Classic doing absolutely nothing productive. After the 10.0.4 update I measured 3-5% CPU consumed with occasional spikes to a bit less than 10%. There is a very noticable improvement in overall responsiveness with Classic up but no Classic apps actually running.

—scott

Signature

—scott

• Posted: 22 June 2001 01:37 AM #29

I’m still waiting for a software update of Software Update. Now I can’t use SU. I keeps telling me that there is no connection altough there is via PPTP-gui.
    (the tip: Use a browser go to http://www.apple.com and then start SU, doesn’t work either)
    Come on Apple make my SU work!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paul Sondervan on 2001-06-22 04:40 ]</font>

Signature

Ayreon, You must have heard it in your life, even if it’s only once!

• Posted: 22 June 2001 05:28 AM #30

Any DP G4 users out there that have installed this update notice any improvement in dial-up PP connections?  I know in 10.0.3 dial-up PPP reliabilty is horrible, my DP G4 500 won’t stay online more than a few minutes before a PPP error -264 occurs.  It’s so bad that I can’t even download the 10.0.4 update because the connection won’t stay up long enough.   Apple has really got to fix this.