Software Updates

• Posted: 23 June 2001 04:15 AM

I have an 350MHz slot loading iMac running Mac OS Z1-9.1, which I understand to be International English. When I run Software Update or UpdateAgent all I get offered is US English updates, why is this?
    Because of this I have to search manually, most annoying because automatic updates was the main reason why I updated to OS9.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alcomac on 2001-06-21 17:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alcomac on 2001-06-21 17:38 ]</font>

Signature

I see good in all things except one, I don’t see good in the dark.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 07:12 AM #1

Wow, that’s an area I’ve never had to deal with before. I’m assuming that the updates that are showing showing up in US English are also available at the same time in Int. English?

Any of you international members out there ever run into this?

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 22 June 2001 08:07 AM #2

US user here, but I wanted to mention that Apple’s international updates usually come out later than the US updates.  From the post, I can’t tell what kind of time frame we are talking about, but this could be a factor.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 12:46 PM #3

Thanks for answering.
    Bryan is right, the international updates are sometimes much later.
    I have just run Software Update about five minutes ago and among others just for example I have been offered, Applescript Update 1.6, Carbonlib 1.3.1, and Open Transport 2.7.6, all of which state that they are English-North American. I wonder what would happen if I installed these updates?
    I don’t know whether this is relevant but I bought my iMac with OS 8.6 installed and it had the ‘Trash’  instead of the ‘Wastebasket’ and american spelling, but I was under the impression that these changes were not to take place until OS9.
    Alan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alcomac on 2001-06-22 15:56 ]</font>

Signature

• Posted: 22 June 2001 07:24 PM #4

Did you buy it from an American catalog reseller? It’s strange that it would have US English settings.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 23 June 2001 04:15 AM #5

I bought it from a well known (UK) chain store, I’ve no idea where they got it from? I’ll see if I can find the box.
    The whole thing is a mystery. I will just have to continue to get my updates by searching manually.
    Regards
    AC

Signature