Buy now or wait for MWNY?

• Posted: 28 June 2001 06:41 PM

well, i’ve decided to leave the dark side of the pentium and join the millions of mac faithfuls.  i’ve been playing with macs in compusa stores for hours the last couple of weekends and want one very badly.  so badly that i purchased the new 17” lcd about a week ago in anticipation of buying a g4 tower soon (looking at either 733 cd-rw or dual 533).  didn’t think the monitor would arrive so soon (today!) since the wait was supposed to be 3-4 weeks.  problem now is that i have this beautiful monitor and no cpu!  i want to be patient and wait for the hot news coming in july at mwny, but don’t know if i can wait that long.  please help with suggestions to calm my nerves and excitement!  thanks.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 08:08 AM #1

Oooooh buyer’s regret is a tough thing but consider this: Apple drops the prices on hardware that will be replaced to help it move out of the retail channel. I just heard that Macwarehouse has just dropped a bunch of prices inclusing the DP 533. Another thing to consider is the fact that announced hardware isn’t always ready to ship at the time it’s announced. Sometimes it takes a month or so for it to start shipping.
    -D

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 22 June 2001 08:18 AM #2

My standard advice is that if you need to get a new machine, do it now and don’t worry about it (easier said than done!)

Since you are forward migrating from the Dark Side, I would advise you to wait (a caveat is coming) until MACWORLD.  You want your first Mac to be one you will be happy with for as long as possible, and with a difference of only 4 weeks, your long-term enjoyment will likely be greater if you wait.

The caveat for that is if you see a deal that you think is too good to pass up, go for it. As Photodan suggested, there will be lots of very good deals showing up in the next four weeks, and one of them might just offset any potential gains from waiting.

The flip side to all of that for others who may be reading this thread, if you have mission critical jobs waiting for a new machine, don’t wait.  Every one of Apple’s current offerings are outstanding computers and will be very serviceable for at least the next three years.

In the meanwhile, welcome to the Mac community Dingo!  It’s great to have you, and I personally am delighted you have found our forums. It’s good to have you.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 08:39 AM #3

Thanks for the advice, guys. The fact is I don’t need a new machine now, I just want one since it’ll be my first mac.  I know, deep breaths and count to ten will get me past four weeks. Since my pentium 4 is going to my parents, they can wait the month - even if it takes a little longer with new products not immediately available. I just want to start learning the Mac OS - 9.1, X, either one!  I foresee many trips to CompUSA to quench my addiction in the next month.

Thanks for the welcome to the community as well. Seems like a great place to learn about everything Mac.  I’m really impressed with Apple as a company as well. I called an Apple tech about two weeks ago with some questions (I’m pretty knowledgeable on the Wintel side), and he told me what you both said…if you don’t need one now, wait til July. He said this being my first Mac and all, he wanted to make sure that I was totally happy with my purchase.  That was cool.

So, I went deeper into Apple’s web site and found all the past Mac Expo keynotes, and since I have a fast connection, was able to view them all that night (about 6 hours for the last 3 expos).  I definitely saw the pattern…new G4’s in the end of 1999, new dual processors in July 2000, new 733 in January 2001… So, I was sure that next month would reveal more of the same type of progression. What I’m not sure…my guesses are dual 733’s or maybe a faster single. Hell, we all have our own dreams and I’ve read the threads about maybe faster memory than PC133 as well.

As you can tell, I’m totally into the hardware side of things as well as the OS. One of the first things I do when getting a new PC is open it up. Like looking under the hood of a new German sportscar.

For now, I guess I’ll have to just look at my unplugged 17” LCD and imagine all of the cool things to come.  Yes, it’s good to be a new member in the cult.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Posted: 22 June 2001 08:52 AM #4

Man, you have it bad!  Definitely a Mac addict in the works. 

Something you may find can help quench your thirst for the time being is the world of FireWire devices.  Many, if not most, are cross platform and you could play with some of them on your P4. External hard drives, MO drives, digital cameras, the new Webcam that Firewire Direct released today, et cetera.

Good luck lasting the four weeks! 

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 09:19 AM #5

Bryan, you and I must think alike! Last Saturday I bought a new Sony Mini DV so when I get the Mac I can start using iMovie. Even though I’m single and have no kids, there must be something interesting to film in this world in which we play! Also have a film scanner for my photography that will certainly transfer across platforms.

Can’t wait for iTunes, too. That’s my true passion…music. I have many, many gigs of mp3’s already on my P4 and burn CDs for family and friends constantly. iTunes looks a lot better than MusicMatch - although the one thing I didn’t see yet on iTunes is the ability to print CD jewel case layouts? Is this function available?

Also create my own music with keyboards, bass, guitar, etc. and hear that most home, and even professional recording studios, use macs as the central hub for recording. A lot to learn there I’m sure.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 10:55 AM #6

No Jewel case printing in iTunes, although an excellent CD burning app called Roxio Toast Titanium 5 will do this, as well as much more, including MP3 playlists, data CDs, audio CDs, cross platform CDs, bootable CDs, and Jewel case creation.  Its like $100, but its professional grade CD burning software, and will soon be available for OS X, to boot.

I’d say wait, also, unless you were looking to buy an iBook, which may not be the case.  Speaking of cases, if you like looking at hardware then you will love your G4’s easy access case.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 02:08 PM #7

Retro, thanks for the Roxio info.

Question arises though, and this is my lack of Mac OS showing. I’ve heard that certain apps that were created for Windows that also have Mac versions (like MusicMatch) don’t run as well on Macs as they do on Windows. Something like “they were built for Windows and just changed a few things to come out with a Mac version to run on Macs” and “they weren’t built for Macs from the ground up”.

Both of those statements make sense but I have no idea why. This is probably a separate post altogether, and may be already addressed somewhere but I thought I’d ask anyway.

As I will soon start to buy all sorts of Mac software to run on my future Mac, this kind of knowledge intrigues me to say the least. I doubt there’s an easy answer (maybe there is - wouldn’t surprise me as my Apple knowledge increases) but is there a rule of thumb?

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 07:38 PM #8

Hmmm, I really haven’t found that to be true, in general. The only ones that come to mind might be some of the heavy duty 3D first-person shooters, but that could be attributed to 3D accelerator hardware and drivers.
    I have seen apps missing some features (usually from MS) but I’ve also seen some ports that have Mac specific features.
    In fact when a company ports an app from one platform to another a majority of the code stays exactly the same. The big changes happen where the program interacts with hardware.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 23 June 2001 08:42 PM #9

Some ports are done by people who don’t really know the Mac.  Those products tend to look like Windows apps and use Windows terminology (like using “Exit” instead of “Quit”). In some cases, the UI might not even conform to even basic Mac standards. When this is the case, most Mac users do NOT like the product and we let the developers know. 

What Photodan says about games is kind of an issue too.  Some games perform better on the PC than on the Mac, but that’s not an issue with the port itself, but rather issues with the Mac.  When looking at issues other than raw CPU horsepower, PCs can be faster than Macs.  In the past, the fastest video cards have often not been available for the Mac, for instance.  If a PC has a faster bus, it will be able to throw data around faster.  Windows handles some I/O issues better than the Classic Mac OS too, and that can have an impact on performance.

The only time this is an issue for most people with today’s hardware is the gaming world.  So, depending on the game and the hardware involved, some games can perform better on the PC than the Mac.  Take a top of the line PowerMac G4 with, say, a GeForce 3 and a game optimized for AltiVec,  and it will hold its own with the fastest PC.  Take a two year old iMac with a Rage 128, and you will get much less good results. 

The people who are doing Mac ports, for most part at least, are outstanding Mac coders who have done some terrific ports.  Furthermore, I think that for all intents and purposes game performance is indistinguishable across the platforms for most games.  The difference between 80 fps and 65 fps is just not that noticeable.

All that said, most apps that have been ported to either platform perform just as well as the original.

Signature

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:41 PM #10

I say buy now. here’s why:

If you wait and say .. there’s something brand new. Do you really want to be one of the first 231 people to own the new product off the assembly line. I remember all the horror stories of people having tibooks with jammed DVD drives, etc. If there is something new, you’d really have to wait a few months until they get the bugs out and buy that time there’s be another MW expo coming. It’s a vicious cycle that there’s really no way out of.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:42 PM #11

I think I’ll wait…but that doesn’t mean I’m going to be one of the first 231 to buy the newest mac.  Hell, even if I get a DP 533 (what a compromise, huh?!), it’ll still probably be a few hundred $ less in a few weeks.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 28 June 2001 06:18 PM #12

To clarify, believe me ... I am all for waiting for new technology. It’s just that I’ve seen the troubles Apple has had with earlier models, and I think it would pain me greatly to wait for something that’s brand spanking new only to have all kinds of problems. I am saving for a tibook, as all 200 members of macobserver forums know by now, and I just want to get the best quality for all that money. I guess you could answer the question either way.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 28 June 2001 06:41 PM #13

I have had good luck with Apple hardware right out of the chute - like my G4 which I bought the day any Apple computer had a G4 in it.  I haven’t heard of too many of Apples computers being sent back.  I think Apple makes good products and I never would be hesitant to buy brand new.  Thats what warranties are for, anyway!

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.