Apple's advertising

• Posted: 28 June 2001 10:07 AM

Have any of you noticed the big problem with Apple’s advertising?
    No, not that one, the BIG one.
    The products look great, you can see all the great things they can do, you want to buy them but… WHERE?!??!?
    We all know where because we’re already Mac fans. Hand the ad to somebody who hasn’t heard of Apple (yes, they certainly exist) and ask them how to buy one. They won’t be able to tell you.

Where are the huge references to Apple.com, Apple resellers like CompUSA or the new Apple Stores?
    With Apple’s retail product availability they need to do everything short of providing taxi rides to reseller’s doors.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 09:50 PM #1

Interesting comment.  I bet that as Apple Stores become more common, they will start advertising for them.

Also just having the Apple stores for people to see when they go by will help, because when they see the ad for an Apple product they will probably remember seeing the stores and thus will know where to go.

• Posted: 22 June 2001 10:04 PM #2

True but the AppleStores will only be in few selected markets. Apple’s ad campaigns reach millions of people who won’t have an AppleStore in their city. They still won’t know where to go.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 23 June 2001 09:04 AM #3

I agree Photodan, they should have the logos of all of the major Mac resellers during the tag segment of the ad.  CompUSA, Fry’s, CircuitCity, and any important regional chains.

Interesting thought for sure.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 23 June 2001 01:54 PM #4

Lets just hope that Apple pays attention to Mac forums!

Signature

• Posted: 25 June 2001 10:57 AM #5

I agree with all of the above.

...but…

it won’t happen. Why? Because Apple has made it clear that its ads will be as slick as its products. No one’s going to let any messy URLs or store locations muck up the pristine spots.

Perhaps there will be an ad blitz to hawk the new retail stores. But so far there has been no such thing in the DC area or in California.

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 26 June 2001 11:29 AM #6

Also, Apple has reasonable control over its products, little (apparently) over the resellers. If the reseller applied similar standards to service as Apple does to its products, the world would be better for it .

Obviously, Apple ads are conceived for ‘effect’, i.e. ‘instant sensual appeal’ not as textual ‘billboards’.

Relief…

Signature

‘The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the state.’  -Tacitus

• Posted: 26 June 2001 11:37 AM #7

I know a great place for Apple to advertise ....

In the in-filght magazines on major and not-so-major airlines. Think of how many people are going to just be passing through the cities where the Apple stores are located, you know? And with business travelers, who knows when that person is going to be looking to buy a powerbook. People do buy on impulse, but if they don’t know these places exist and all they are aware of is the Gateway Country’s and other stores, then Apple loses out.

Does anyone have any comments on my idea? Good? Bad?

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 27 June 2001 11:58 AM #8

Or in a branding affiliation with VW (Volkswagen), after all, no two diverse products have ever had so much in common…
    Also, a lil graphite Apple icon on the hood of the bug? Huh, what do you think?

Signature

‘The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the state.’  -Tacitus

Posted: 27 June 2001 05:47 PM #9

hmm… well when I see an ad or want more information on a company, I just type their name into my browser.  If people get directed to Apple.com they should be able to buy from the online site, or Apple even as that “Where To Buy” area.  Maybe it would help to have a .com after the Apple in the add, but I think most people would be able to get to a web site.

• Posted: 28 June 2001 10:07 AM #10

On 2001-06-26 14:37, scottk wrote:
    Does anyone have any comments on my idea? Good? Bad?

BAD.

Joking. Actually, I fully agree. Beyond what you said, people on planes are more likely to want to buy laptops with good battery life that fit well on tray tables.

Can you say iBook?

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer