Did the earth move for you?

• Posted: 23 September 2005 10:19 AM #16

Gotta love living on the West coast, where the earth can kill you in one of three hundred and ninety-two ways.

Signature

Cadet Robb Loeb, AFROTC
    Det 020

Posted: 25 September 2005 04:27 AM #17

CdtLoeb
    Yep and I live at Shilshole so I hit the Tectonic Trifecta.
    I’m “On the Beach”.
    Building’s on fill.
    The bluff behind me is sand and clay—and a notorius slide area.
    Nis quall ee.  That’s one of the easy ones.

Alki and oh yeah, glad you’re back.

:D

Signature

Cynic (noun)
    “One whose faulty vision causes him to see things as they actually are?not as others wish them to be.”

Ambrose Bierce

Posted: 16 November 2006 02:03 PM #18

My position hasn’t changed. I still hate earthquakes.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/x2654530g_l.html

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 17 November 2006 11:19 AM #19

And the New Madrid is still here, with the Mississippi River flowing over it and dumping sediment, which will act like an amplifier to the seismic waves. Joy.

Oh, and the Mississippi did indeed flow backwards about 200 years ago to fill a crack created from a 11.5-12 quake. Really. :bugeyed: It created Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee.

The best I heard about it, though, was from a family friend who lives in Memphis. One morning, he was standing by the kitchen window, taking his first sip of coffee, when a quake hit. Then he heard a SCHLUUUUURRRRRRRP!!!! as he looked up, and saw a massive whirlpool in his pool as all the water got sucked down a massive crack in the bottom.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted: 20 December 2007 12:18 AM #20

6.8 - now that’s big.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/2839343g.html

It was 50km south of Gisborne, just under 500km from here, and the house gave a big creak.

Not nice. Not nice at all.

I’m glad we don’t live in Poverty Bay…

Update: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4331258a10.html

Two buildings have collapsed…

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 16 July 2009 06:51 PM #21

6.8?! I see your 6.8 and raise you to - 7.8! The biggest in the world this year, the biggest since the disastrous earthquake in China, the biggest in New Zealand since the Napier Earthquake in 1931 - and no-one died, or was even hurt. So far there have been less than 300 claims for damages.

I didn’t feel a thing, but we live 800 kilometres to the north-east.

Fortunately the epicentre was under Resolution Island in remote Fiordland, with the nearest townships of Tuatapere and Te Anau 100 or so kilometres away, but it’s remarkable that we got off so lightly.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10584996

[ Edited: 17 July 2009 12:09 AM by Laurie Fleming ]

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 16 July 2009 11:18 PM #22

:bugeyed: Whoah!

Signature

Early 2009 24” iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 640 GB hard drive, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
    Canon EOS 50D, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro

Posted: 29 September 2009 05:50 PM #23

A magnitude 8.3 earthquake has hit just south of American Samoa. There have been deaths, and a tsunami is fanning across the South Pacific. The wave, estimated to be around 3 metres, will probably be around 1 metre when it strikes Wellington in another hour (10:50am NZDT) (almost certainly not causing any problems).

In nearby Samoa, along the southern coast of the main island of Upolu there has been widespread damage with possible loss of life.

The owner of Iliili Beach resort, Daniela Brussani, said her resort had been wiped out, with only the floor remaining.

Brussani said the earthquake was “very long and very strong.”

She said she understood that three people were missing from Saleilua, the village where the resort is situated.

As she was speaking to Stuff.co.nz she saw a policeman carrying a baby, which she feared was dead.

She said after the earthquake hit she went to the verandah at the resort and the sea had disappeared. “No water, just coral. The water go back. Very fast we understand it is a tsunami.”

She said she jumped in the car and drove away from the coast and waited. She said two very big waves were seen.

“When we go back we see all my resort is gone.”

Matthew from Iliili Resort said:

“Everything is broken. Everything is gone. The building, the restaurant ... nothing left.

“There are three people missing from the village.”

Bugger.

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 30 September 2009 04:32 AM #24

It’s now thought that 100 people are dead in Samoa, American Samoa and Tonga.

The resort we went to a few years ago, Coconuts, has been wiped out. The resort next door, Sinalei, has been equally damaged, and one of the owners has been killed.

I was upset with the Indonesian tsunami a few years ago, but this was more personal. People I met in Samoa six years ago will be dead now. As a palagi I am not really part of their country, but I still feel as though a small part of me belongs there.

All I am able to do is go into the bank tomorrow and make a donation to the Red Cross. I feel so pathetic.

:-(

A bus-stop that doesn’t exist any more?

[ Edited: 30 September 2009 04:36 AM by Laurie Fleming ]

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 22 February 2011 06:42 AM #25

You’ve probably heard by now about the devastating earthquake in Christchurch in the South Island, 500km or so south of here. It was only magnitude 6.3, sizeable enough, but situated only 5 kilometres below the surface. There is little power in the city, no water, no sewerage, and things are desperate. So far 65 people are officially dead, but that number will rise.

If you are able to help financially, go to http://www.redcross.org.nz/donate - the people of Christchurch and the rest of New Zealand will truly appreciate it.

For more information, follow #eqnz on Twitter, or http://www.3news.co.nz/

[ Edited: 22 February 2011 07:03 AM by Laurie Fleming ]

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 23 February 2011 04:26 PM #26

Hey Laurie, It’s good to hear that you are ok.

Signature

You can save your money to spend later on retirement, but you cannot save the days of your youth.  Therefore, spend some of your money on yourself and enjoy life now!       
      thepoeticjuan

Posted: 02 March 2011 03:28 PM #27

A couple of nights ago we had a magnitude 4.5 quake. Normally we’d shrug and hardly think about it. This time everyone was quite upset.

Until 5th of March, New Zealand app developers are donating 100% of their proceeds to the quake appeal. Have a look here: http://www.appappeal.co.nz/

Signature

@LaurieFleming