New page layout?

• Posted: 28 April 2004 11:22 AM

Hello, am I the only one who thinks http://www.macobserver.com/ now has too much information on one page?  Let’s keep the old layout around for people who want to be able to read just the headlines and decide if they want to read a specific news story.  As it is, now a lot more scrolling is required to see the entire page.

• Posted: 28 April 2004 11:28 AM #1

Are you sure you have it in “Headline” view and not “News Brief” view.  Headline doesn’t really take any more space then the old layout.  News brief does, and it’s a different style then was used before.  But, it’s optional.

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

• Posted: 28 April 2004 11:42 AM #2

That’s definitely better.  What if I just want one day of headlines?

• Posted: 28 April 2004 11:49 AM #3

TMO front page has ALWAYS shown two days of headlines.  That did not change.

Signature

Jon

• Posted: 28 April 2004 11:53 AM #4

The new layout is interesting, and faster loading, but it’ll take a few days of mental adjustment on my part to get used to it.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 28 April 2004 01:48 PM #5

Oh, and here’s one minor complaint: the links don’t change color to indicate which ones I’ve already clicked on.  Perhaps something could be done about that?  I’m using the latest version of Safari.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 29 April 2004 04:02 AM #6

I quite like the new lay-out. I find it more easy on the eye than the previous one.

Good work, guys!

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

Posted: 30 April 2004 01:21 AM #7

Thanks for the comments. grin

A visited link color is coming. That was an oversight.

Gopher, we don’t have a 1-day only option for headlines.  Just don’t look any lower than the top day. grin

Still to come is the big comment system upgrade!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 02 May 2004 12:29 PM #8

I love the page header and the color palette! The individual section heads are great too and I get a big kick out of the rotated icons showing up in the headline prefs box and Apple Death Knell Counter.

I wonder if it wouldn’t be possible to make the headlines a little larger respective to the rest of the text. With the headlines, bylines, and article summaries all being the same font/size/leading, they tend to blur together.

Also, is the time an article is posted really so deserving of its place of prominence? I could easily see those knocked down to the byline.

I like the beige backgrounds of Features, but when that goes away in the Death Knell, Shirts, TMO Express and Hot Topics sections, the multi-column layout gets visually derailed until the More Features section starts up again. Maybe tints/shades of that beige in the other sidebar items to keep them distinct from the center content text?

Just some random thoughts thought out loud. I look forward to seeing the new layout spread to the forums and also the other new features that are coming down the road!

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

Posted: 14 May 2004 04:29 PM #9

I’m seeing on the home page (and now with the forum layout too, which looks great, btw) when the browser window width is reduced, the body column first crowds, then overlaps, then pushes down completely the left-hand sidebar of ads.

Safari 1.2.1.

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 15 May 2004 02:54 PM #10

I’m at home on a PC, so who knows, but it doesn’t do that to me.  It puts the ads below the posts.

Signature

Jon

• Posted: 17 May 2004 02:12 PM #11

I’m still having some trouble with the new design. This concerns the comments section underneath the news stories. I understand why some guests ‘n’ trolls have their comments hidden, but I can’t seem to “unhide” them.  When I click on “view” nothing happens—except that the word “view” disappears. This does not happen when I’m working from home with my OSX iBook, but does happen at work with a G3 tower in OS9. I know I may not be missing much, but I would like to read some of these other comments.
    Otherwise the new design seems hunky dory to me.
    thanks…

Posted: 17 May 2004 07:11 PM #12

I confirmed it on IE 5.0 for OS 9 through Classic. The word “view” just disappears.

Might also be the javascript or JavaRunTime in that version of the OS/browser.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 19 May 2004 06:54 AM #13

Thanks for checking it out, Spider. I’m surprised we haven’t heard about this from other users. Am I the last OS9 user visiting TMO??

Posted: 19 May 2004 10:28 AM #14

ScottW.  you want to see how easy a bug it is to track down, go to a page with comments in IE 5 Classic do save as, make sure you select HTML source as the kind to save it as, name it test.html and open it with IE 5. When I do that everything works great. I am not suggesting this as a work around, I am only commenting on how hard a bug it is to track down. It is being worked on, but even though you aren’t the last os 9 visitor there are other issues that effect a higher percentage of users that are higher priority.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

Posted: 19 May 2004 11:46 AM #15

How about different colored font for the Admin/Mod links at the bottom of the forums.

They look very close to what everyone else has and it is hard to distinguish. smile

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.