No Adobe at Macworld?!?!!??!

• Posted: 25 June 2001 06:57 PM

Adobe has announced that they will not even have a booth at Macworld.
    Yikes.
    I am going to assume then, that a carbonized Photoshop is still far off and Adobe doesn’t want to absorb the abuse from showgoers.
    If this comes to pass, what will that do to adoption of OSX?

No native versions of Photoshop and Quark Xpress = no publishing sector customers. How could these two staples of the Mac software library go un-carbonized? How can these companies ‘drop the ball’ like this?

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 23 June 2001 07:16 AM #1

From all that I’ve read over the last couple days about this, Adobe *is* still going to released Carbonized versions of everything, it really is just a matter of when.

I’m with you in that I think sooner would certainly be better than latter, but it looks like we’ll just have to wait a bit.  InDesign will see the Carbonized light of day long before Quark, giving Adobe a leg up there.  But if Fireworks and Dreamweaver make it to X before GoLive and Photoshop Adobe could certainly lose customers.

Not saying that Fireworks is a replacement for Photoshop, but it does do many of the things that people need it to do when creating graphics for the Web, and that is a large percentage of customers.  The true “professional” users won’t get by with such a substitute, but a lot of “home” designers will.

How this plays out is going to be very, very interesting.

Signature

You better eat him Mitch…before I do.

• Posted: 23 June 2001 07:36 AM #2

Apple sure does know how to shake things up a bit don’t they?

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 23 June 2001 09:15 AM #3

If you ask me, there is something “interesting” going on behind the scenes.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 23 June 2001 01:53 PM #4

The fall of the Berlin Wall was interesting but so was the Hindenberg.
    Please share your suspicions!

Signature

Posted: 23 June 2001 07:25 PM #5

heh.  I’m working on it.

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 24 June 2001 08:47 PM #6

This is what MacCentral had to say about it.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0106/22.adobe.shtml

George

• Posted: 24 June 2001 09:36 PM #7

I don’t think you all realize how much money it takes to set up a booth and exhibit for this kind of thing. If you have Adobe stock, you may have noticed the PR notices about their packing company going bankrupt, etc.. money is scarce—why waste it on showing off old products?

Posted: 24 June 2001 09:46 PM #8

Hey Carson,

Nice to see you here at the TMO Forums. 

Adobe:  It does cost money, but the reasons why these companies spend the money is because it helps them make money.  Adobe could well show X demos of some of their products. In fact they should do just that in order to counter the inroads Macromedia and other companies are now going to make when they show X versions of *their* products.

Adobe is legitimately trying to save money, but this is not the way to reassure your customers.  50% or so of Adobe’s income comes from the Mac platform.  One would think they would be interested in keeping them.

Signature

• Posted: 24 June 2001 09:50 PM #9

Some facts from an Adobe employer:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/storyforum/forums/_news_0106_22.adobe/?read=505

Posted: 24 June 2001 10:02 PM #10

Thanks for the link, Justin.  I had missed that post/thread at MacCentral.  Definitely interesting.

Signature

• Posted: 24 June 2001 10:09 PM #11

For those of you who don’t want to read the whole comment, the most tantalizing tidbits to me were these sentences:

“Fact - In that same financial report we indicated that the 3rd quarter would be FLAT and that we would take cost cutting measures. Unfortunately those cost cutting measures came in the way of marketing expenses such as trade shows. We are NOT exhibiting at PC Expo or MacWorld NY. We will be at MacWorld SF. The PC Expo site info is old and outdated. Just as the MacWorld Expo site doesn’t list companines that have recently said that they are going.”

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Justin on 2001-06-25 01:10 ]</font>

• Posted: 24 June 2001 10:12 PM #12

They can explain it away in any fashion they wish but the fact remains: No Adobe booth probably means no product announcements either.

Signature

• Posted: 25 June 2001 04:39 PM #13

I’m really frustrated with Adobe - I called for support for Photoshop (I couldn’t launch 6.01 in Os X classic mode. They wouldn’t even try to guess, and the tech said he wasn’t the least bit familliar with OS X. This really made me feel like I was calling a Windows company. I felt ripped off for having bought into the Design Collection.

Now they aren’t going to show for Macworld, even though they can afford to show for PC World Expo. I’m a photographer and love photoshop, but I am, for the first time, seriously considering looking for a new program. I don’t have to have CMYK, and I’m starting to think that Graphic Converter should be more than a playtime program!

For anyone having the same photoshop problem (won’t launch in OS X Classic) I finnaly figured out that I had assigned too much memory to the program for classic. It couldn’t launch it with 700 megs assigned, but a 250 it did launch.

I hope that Adobe is going to make a comeback, they’ve really lost face in the past few months.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 06:57 PM #14

Read my other post, three up.  Adobe is NOT showing at the PC Expo according to an Adobe employee.