New messages?  Where?

• Posted: 07 May 2004 08:01 AM

When I came to these forums today, I saw no new messages.  But it said I’d been here 20 minutes beforehand, which isn’t true.  But it is when I visited the main news page.

So it looks like it counted my visit to the main page as a forum visit, and when I got to the forums it was a separate visit, and all the new messages got marked as read.  That’s something that should be investigated.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 07 May 2004 08:33 AM #1

Makes sense. The new comments pages are an extension of these forums - so when you view any of the main news articles, the forums think you’ve visited.

I’d be willing to wager this will fix itself when the forums and comments are merged.

Jason

Signature

Honorary Handsome Brute of TMO
    Bearded UNIX Guru-in-Training

Call me jvarner; it’s shorter and doesn’t require capitalization.

Posted: 07 May 2004 09:30 AM #2

I had noticed this yesterday, but didn’t get a chance to tell anyone due to physical world things taking precedence.

I do hope (and am sure ) it is fixed when the merger is complete

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 07 May 2004 12:29 PM #3

Looks like it still happens if I go straight from the news pages to the forums.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

Posted: 09 May 2004 01:14 PM #4

The new comments and the forums are already merged.

Stephen is looking into this problem. I don’t know if a fix is possible, but if there is, I am sure he will find it.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 15 July 2004 10:42 AM #5

Looks like the problem is still here.  The last 2 months, I’ve been reading the forums completely before heading to the news page.  Today, I headed to the news page first, then the forums, and it said my previous visit was one minute ago..  :(

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 15 July 2004 11:50 AM #6

The best fix that I’ve found is to shut off story comments completely. Set the number of messages per page to zero, apply the changes, then save changes. After that is done, you can read news posts to your heart’s content, without forum posts being marked as read. Of course, this won’t work the first time, as you’ll be viewing the comments before you shut them off, but after that, it’ll work.

From then on, you can either read the story comments through the forums (via the “TMO News” forum), or, after reading the forums, you can temporarily turn on story comments by setting the number of posts per page to a non-zero figure (without saving the changes, so it’ll go back to zero the next time you visit).

Of course, I rarely read the story comments, so this may be more inconvenient to you than it is to me. YMMV.

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

• Posted: 21 July 2004 05:24 AM #7

Can we add an option in addition to the “Turn Comments Back On” one on the article pages that says “View Comments in Forums” and links for the forum thread for the article?  Or something similar?

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 21 July 2004 11:26 AM #8

[quote author=“Brad Smith”]Can we add an option in addition to the “Turn Comments Back On” one on the article pages that says “View Comments in Forums” and links for the forum thread for the article?  Or something similar?

Sounds like a good idea.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)