Exporting Folders in Outlook Express?

• Posted: 27 June 2001 09:44 AM

I use Outlook Express for a mail client.  I back up the contacts onto floppies by “Export/Import”.  I back up the saved email folders by copy and paste.  Does anyone know a way to “Export” Outlook Express folders?

Thanks,

George

• Posted: 25 June 2001 12:54 PM #1

On 2001-06-24 11:34, younggdy wrote:
    I use Outlook Express for a mail client.  I back up the contacts onto floppies by “Export/Import”.  I back up the saved email folders by copy and paste.  Does anyone know a way to “Export” Outlook Express folders?

I assume you mean, copy entire of folders of files into a directory at once without compressing them?  Because (well on my Windows version anyway) I can export folders or multiple folders into a special file that Outlook progs can use.  If you mean the latter, I’m not sure off hand.  Have you tried drag and drop?

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 02:33 PM #2

Retro,

Yes, I would prefer to export the whole folder.  The only way that I know to do it now is to save each individual piece of email to an external folder, then name the external with the same name as the OE folder for reference.  The external folder can be copied to a floppy or whatever.  The return trip is similar.  It takes a lot of time both ways to do it this way. 

I can export folders or multiple folders into a special file that Outlook progs can use. If you mean the latter, I’m not sure off hand. Have you tried drag and drop?

I haven’t found any way to export folders at all and they won’t drag and drop.

I may be doing it the only way that it can be done, but I sure hope not.

Thanks ,

George

• Posted: 25 June 2001 11:05 PM #3

You’re doing it on floppies!?  Those are sooo 20th century. 

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-26 02:06 ]</font>

• Posted: 26 June 2001 05:49 AM #4

David,

Absolutely!  At my age it is exciting finding something at which floppies work best.    Besides they are image coherent with my six year old clone. 
    -g

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: younggdy on 2001-06-26 08:50 ]</font>

• Posted: 26 June 2001 06:26 AM #5

There is a way to backup all of the folders at once.  They will not be in readable format, but you can use this technique (as I have) when you want to erase your Hard drive (to install OS X, of course).

Somewhere on your machine there is a folder called “Microsoft User Data”.  In this, there is a folder called Identities and then a folder in that with your Identity name on it.  If you take all those files and copy them, you can successfully back up OE.  If your HD goes kaput, you can simply reload OE and then place these files back in the same directory, and your email up to the point to backed it up will return.

As for backing up only a single folder, I couldn’t figure out how to do that either.  Sorry.

Signature

• Posted: 26 June 2001 08:50 AM #6

Retro,

I found Identies where you said it would be. Inside is a Main Identity folder and inside that are: Database,Database Cache,Mailing Lists,Messages,Preferences,Rules,Schedules, and Signatures. I didn’t find my Indentity name. However, if it were there would not the same need to be done, copy to the folder and copy the folder to an outside source for later installation? -g

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: younggdy on 2001-06-26 11:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: younggdy on 2001-06-26 11:53 ]</font>

• Posted: 27 June 2001 12:40 AM #7

If you only have one identity on your Outlook, the folder you want IS the Main Identity folder (with Database etc.). So just make a backup of that folder.
    And if you hold ALT down while opening Outlook, you will get two consecutive dialogues, which asks you if you want to rebuild the messages and contacts. Doing that will result in smaller backup.

Peter

• Posted: 27 June 2001 09:44 AM #8

Thanks, Peter.  Sorry I didn’t get back to you.  The info that Peter gave is correct, and even better than what I had to offer!   Glad I could help.

Signature