MACWORLD New York 2001 Predictions

Posted: 30 June 2001 01:22 PM

Ahhhhh….  It’s time for the semi-annual “guess what’s going to happen at MACWORLD” mania.  I am not looking for “leaked” information or other stolen data, but I am looking for opinions.  What do you think will happen at MACWORLD New York this year?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 24 June 2001 09:24 PM #1

I like everyone else is expecting OS X 10.1 of course.
    Ditto for a new iMac and possibly faster G4 towers.
    Those are the easy ones.

I’d like to hear people’s guesses for the longshots ... the “just one more thing.”

My guess is an easy image editing application…maybe to nudge Adobe a little bit.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 24 June 2001 09:33 PM #2

I’m thinking iPhone is finally going to come to life. Not!

• Posted: 25 June 2001 04:26 AM #3

new imacs and G4’s
    ibooks in colors, updqte to TI powerbook
    more on education with powerschool acquisition
    new application geared towards messaging
    OSX 10.1 with a few new features & a nice speed bump
    lots of OSX product announcements/launches

the one more thing?

an apple webpad/newton hybrid.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 04:53 AM #4

Apple recalls OS X. Agrees that it’s scandalous to sell a beta to customers and refunds purchase price of OS X plus interest. Releases Mac OS 9.2 which includes support for CD Burning, DVD playback, iSub, USB hubs, fast windows resizing, spring loaded folders.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 05:10 AM #5

I looking forward to…
    MAC OS X 10.1(the completed OS),
    iPHOTO software,
    G4 iMac w/ flat panel display,
    Power Mac G5 Tower @ 1 GHz,
    lots of third party software and support for OS X

• Posted: 25 June 2001 05:46 AM #6

My predictions focus more on third-parties.
    I predict Palm will finally offer a new Desktop app, while Apple will release sync for Address Book to coincide with palms support for OSX.

OSX will will put back and update features in Address Book, Mail and other productivity tools that were in the Developer releases.

Many big and small companies that are currently outside or unknown to most of the Mac community will show their support for the Mac community. Mainly big Unix apps used in engineering and sciences. More enterprise solutions will start popping up. Maybe, will see announcements of ProE, MatLab, Mathematica, TKSolver, Vectorworks, FormZ, PSpice, and maybe some new electrical Engineering apps.

Finally Apple, will be able to provide more tools and info to the Gaming and 3D developers that are trying to move to OSX.

I’d personally like to see Apple send the guys at http://www.parsec.org a G4 to help bring their freeware high-quality space flight game (Space jockies Quake Style) to OSX.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 06:33 AM #7

Stevie’s keynote:

* OS X is flying off the shelves
    * Another demo of Maya
    * Speed-bumbed G4 PowerBook
    * Speed-bumbed and MP PowerMac
    * Completely new LCD iMac
    * Mac OS X 10.1 w/ DVD playback, DiscBurner and some interface tweaks
    * Mac OS X shipping as primary OS
    * iMessage - a multi-network (MSN, ICQ & AOL) IM client
    * New PIM (Apple-branded - integrated with OS X and address book
    * Mac OS 9.2 (expect this to be a quiet release, like Apple did with 9.1)
    * Presentation of Adobe’s OS X release dates
    * One more ting… Apple’s PDA/webpad digital hub-appliance. Based on OS X.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 08:16 AM #8

I don’t think we’ll get OS X 10.1 itself, but i think we will see it demo’d to show off all the nifty new features.
    As for new hardware, I think an updated iMac is definately in the cards, and probably speedbumped G4s. I don’t believe we’ll be seeing an all new enclosure, UMA2.1, DDR RAM, or GigaHz processors. Perhaps these features will at least be announced, if not shipped.
    I guess I’m taking a position of cautious optimism. I’m not expecting any earthshattering news, so if they do decide to drop a bomb or two, I can be really blown away… =)

• Posted: 25 June 2001 08:22 AM #9

More of what better happen than predictions…

OS X 10.1 better be there

new iMac’s with totally new enclosure BETTER be there (or apple is going to be crucified by the media)

G4’s pushing 1 Ghz better be there, but I doubt it (It’s going to be hard to say out 733 can keep up with 2 Ghz Intel’s….)

Powerbook needs cd-rw/dvd combo drive

Adobe????  They need a slap to the head.

In the last week I went from totally looking forward to this show to now almost dreading it.  There are too many curcial things that must happen here, and if a few major ones get botched it is going to be bad. 

Let’s hope it is amazing as ever.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 08:25 AM #10

I’m looking for the announcement that Apple owns Microsoft….Oh wait…that was last nights dream. Sorry.

As stated before:
    —New OS Versions
    —I expect something new as far as hardware because the Cube is no longer available to vendors (when that happens they usually bring out something new)

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 08:27 AM #11

Adobe???? They need a slap to the head.

Oh my god! That was the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time!
    YOU sir/maam NEED to register! Love your levity, keep it up!
    !!!!! I seem to also love exclaimation marks!!!!!

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 08:59 AM #12

• The Cube mysteriously disappears from the 6-Box strategy with no mention from Steve.

• New iMacs!

• Mac OS X 10.1 at then end of July.  In the meantime, DVD playback implemented in a 10.0.5 release.

• Minor MHz upgrade for the G4 Towers and for the Titaniums

• Internet Explorer 5.0 Final for Mac OS X

• A new iTool ... although I have no idea what it could be

• Posted: 25 June 2001 09:45 AM #13

Steve Jobs brings someone from Macromedia up on stage to announce that Flash, Director, Fireworks, and Dreamweaver have been carbonized and are available immediately.  Both of them piss on Adobe for dragging their feet and not even showing up at Macworld.  All Mac users switch to the software vendors who are supporting them, and the competition is left in the dust.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 09:48 AM #14

• Internet Explorer 5.0 Final for Mac OS X

More importantly, OmniWeb 4.1, which will kick ass because 10.1 will have better Java2 implementation

• Posted: 25 June 2001 09:54 AM #15

How about this…

New G4 Tower with a new Titanium-like enclosure:
    600mhz, 128mb RAM, 30GB HD, 800mb/s Firewire, DVD/CD-RW, $1,599
    733mhz, 128mb RAM, 40GB HD, 800mb/s Firewire, DVD/CD-RW, $2,049
    Dual-733mhz, 256mb RAM, 60GB HD, 800mb/s Firewire, DVD-R/CD-RW, $2,299
    1Ghz, 512mb RAM, 60GB HD, 800mb/s Firewire, DVD-R/CD-RW, $2,799

New iMac with a new iBook-styled enclosure, replaceable insertable LCD monitors (15”-19”)
    450mhz w/15"LCD, 128mb, CD-RW, 20GB, $749 ($499 w/o display)
    600mhz w/15"LCD, 256mb, DVD/CD-RW, 30GB, $949 ($799 w/o display)
    700 mhz G3 w/15"LCD, 256mb, DVD/CD-RW, 40GB, $1,199 ($1,049 w/o display)

Note: Larger LCDs are available for additional cost.

Titanium Powerbook speed bumped to 533 and 667mhz respectively.  128-256mb, PCMCIA port, hot-swappable battery and DVD/CD-RW on both.

No change on iBook.

Handheld Tablet-like PDA/PC. “Bring your desktop with you” approach to PDA, where you can use your desktop apps from your Mac but through the internet from anywhere (ala Timbuktu). It also acts like a Palm, using Palm software, but also using a better handwriting recognition engine and voice commands. It runs a reduced MacOSX with a stylus. Price: $699

iPhoto software “sucks” nearly any format images from devices using quicktime through Firewire and/or USB. Even scrub through video fro a particular image to make into a still.

Oh, and one more thing…All education discounts CAN be used throughout our Apple store network of stores. Just bring in your authorized education buyer number.

clutterbox

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clutterbox on 2001-06-25 12:56 ]</font>