Question for designers (regarding guidelines)

• Posted: 25 June 2001 11:13 AM

I have read messages in public forums, from designers who say that guidelines in Photoshop, PageMaker and other software are used only by people who are not professionals.

I am talking about the guidelines that one can pull from a window’s ruler and use to align objects and layers in design software.

What’s the deal with such lines being “not professional” ?

Munger

• Posted: 25 June 2001 07:30 AM #1

I don’t see how another tool could be seen as unprofessional. So if you’re a carpenter, a chalkline might be unprofessional?
    Hmmm. It sounds like those people are getting a little bored with current Mac news.

I guess people gots to talk about somethin’.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 07:31 AM #2

See? We’re talking about the people who are talking about… well nothing really.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 11:13 AM #3

What ^he^ said. Oops. I mean, true dat.

I use guides ALL THE TIME because they enable me to line things up quickly and efficiently. (Granted, visual line-up is often preferred when serifs, punctuation, and italics cause visual issues).

If someone says something like “guides are not for design professionals,” then I would continue the beef. If you don’t line things up, what design principle are you using? Is it the “I break the rules becuase I’m better than you” method?

Those who feel as if they are “above” the lessons most of us learned in design 101 might need to reexamine the quality of their product.

Signature

“Instead of leaving, they’re staying in droves.”
    -Heddey Lamar.

“That’s HEADLEY”