Apple's education plan

• Posted: 25 June 2001 11:30 AM

Whoever came up with the idea of offering Powerschool with Macs deserves a huge raise. Apple’s strategy in the education market seems to be improving dramatically.
    1) Cheap laptops (ala iBook)
    2) An educational Solution (Powerschool) with advantages for administrators (you know, the people who make purchasing decisions.)
    3) OSX. Stability and exposure to UNIX
    4) Sales reps who actually visit

And Dell crows when they sell a few more boxes than Apple?
    Gee, what an accomplishment. *yawn

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Photodan on 2001-06-25 11:15 ]</font>

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 10:44 AM #1

I agree. And I also agree with many (including our Editor, Bryan Chaffin) who have expressed wild disbelief at Dell’s strategy for retaining their supremacy in the education market: saying, simply, that Apple won’t win.

Mr. Dell hasn’t said that Macs are inferior. He hasn’t said that Dell offers a competitive advantage—he hasn’t even boasted cheaper systems. He hasn’t trumpeted a better sales force, better sales consultants…. All he’s said is that Apple will loose because once a school system migrates from the Mac, it won’t ever go back.

That sounds like some shaky reasoning to me. Not nearly as shaky as I would be if I were in charge of Dell’s Education Sales Force.

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 25 June 2001 11:30 AM #2

Well said!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.