A free Webcam giveaway!

Posted: 26 June 2001 07:42 AM

We are pretty stoked to announce our first giveaway, and it’s for the new forums!  Register, post, and you get a chance to get a free FireWire Webcam from Firewire Direct.  Everyone who is registered (except TMO staff, mods, etc.) is eligible, but check out the official announcement for the rules .

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 25 June 2001 04:13 PM #1

Just added a clause giving people an extra entry for every 10 posts.

In addition, for each 10 posts, you will get an additional entry into the drawing. That means that if you post between 11-20 times, you will be entered twice, 21-30 posts will get you entered 3 times, etc. This is a painfully obvious way to encourage you to really get involved with the discussion. Please note the “lame” clause above which says all lame posts will be summarily deleted without appeal.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 07:42 AM #2

Firewire webcams have been slow to get off the ground, but have a lot more potential than USB based ones. I purchased and an ADS pyro webcam recently, and was disappointed with the software bundle that came with it. The realtime video display and capture that was provided was HackTV. It was not possible to display realtime video on my 400MHz iMac DVSE. Might be the DCAM driver provided??? Unfortunatly there is not a nice replacement for the old Apple Video Player that did a better job of displaying realtime video on my older 6100AV. Both systems are running system 8.6.

The picture quality is good, but not a good as it could be. It probably needs better quality optics. Still some noticable barrel distortion in the picture, and the colours are slightly washed out.

I am excided at the prospects of machine vision applications with firewire web cameras. Works well with ImageJ.

The FirewireDirect web cam seems like a step in the right direction. I look forward to the day I can grab my firewire webcam, portable firewire harddisk and take a video or still picture. Maybe some manufacturer will integrate them together for us?