Guest posts…?

• Posted: 07 July 2004 09:28 PM

I see that in the Mac OSX, Classic, and Hardware boards is a bolded note that “Guest Posts Are Allowed”.  That’s gret, and it makes sense - often times first time visitors will be here because they need help, and I think it’s classy and more friendly to allow them to post there.

But none of the other boards have this notification, yet Guests seem to be able to post at will…

Many of the guests who post here are quite intelligent and contribute to the community - and I don’t want to lose their contributions.  But lately, the anonymous posts have been quite spammy.  I think there’s one particular Guest who debates with him or herself - the tone of the posts are identical, yet the positions taken therein are diametrically opposite - and they post in quick succession, back and forth.  Either it’s coordinated and planned posting by multiple people, or it’s the same guest playing multiple personalities.

Decent topics are getting spammed up by this stuff.

So I wonder aloud, even as a fairly new poster on these boards, why guests are allowed to post in these threads.  By the explicit language, they are not.  Yet they can.  If what a guest has to say is of sufficient merit, they can register - it’s fast and so far as I can tell, SPAM-free.  I lurked here for quite a while before I first posted, and once I decided to, I registered.  Guests could of course continue to post in the boards where they have technically always been permitted to - the help forums.

Just a thought, I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes.  But in the last few weeks in particular, spammy pointless guest posts have begun to appear with greater frequency.  So I submit that the apparent restrictions on guest posting be reinstated, or at least reconsidered.

And I hope all of our guests register and become part of the community!  smile

Signature

“We think we own the world and own the stars… in fact we barely even own our cars.” - Sparks, “A Song That Sings Itself”

Posted: 07 July 2004 11:12 PM #1

Do note that until *very* recently, Guest posts were disabled in all but the help forums because of spamming.  When I first joined the forums, Guest posting abounded, and most guests were very well behaved.

Less than a year ago, the Guest ban began.  (Um, that’s a bad sentence. Moving along…)  Twofold to encourage more folks to register, and to stop spamming and trolling.  That being said, folks aren’t beyond registering and then spamming.  Forum traffic moves up and down, and in the interests of upping forum participation, Guest posting was quietly turned back on in the general discussion forums.

I think that Guest posts are a Good Thing.  I’m all for folks registering, but often the best way to get a feel for a community is to post and reply.  Sometimes people feel that registering is then a burden.  I think our mods do a pretty good job of keeping the streets clean, as it were.

I’m quite happy to keep the self-bantering guests in check when I can.  I suppose even a Guest needs a sock puppet some times.  rolleyes

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 08 July 2004 01:18 AM #2

Jinkies has it pretty much right on in terms of history and intent. We constantly monitor the forums, and it’s always a challenge to find the right balance between control and access, freedom and moderation, etc.

For the nonce, the benefits of guest access largely outweigh the downside, the biggest of which is increased participation by new folks.

In general, I think our mods do a terrific, amazing job at keeping the streets clean, to cop Jinkies’ term, but we definitely have to keep on things. Accordingly, thanks for the note. grin

Be sure and let any of the mods know (via private message) when you see something amiss.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 28 July 2004 09:30 AM #3

Re: Guest posts…?

[quote author=“Engine Joe”]I think there’s one particular Guest who debates with him or herself - the tone of the posts are identical, yet the positions taken therein are diametrically opposite - and they post in quick succession, back and forth.  Either it’s coordinated and planned posting by multiple people, or it’s the same guest playing multiple personalities.

Decent topics are getting spammed up by this stuff.

[rant]
    Is there any way to site ban the Guest who keeps repeating itself?  They really are wearing out their welcome.  I was a lurker for about 2 years before joining the community (the site was reccommended in my Mac Tech training at AOHell) and maybe it’s that I am just now paying attention to it, but it’s getting bad.  The mods are doing a good job of getting the spamming of other sites, but Guests are mucking up some good threads.  [/rant]

Signature

"Age no more confers adulthood than a high school degree guarantees literacy."—Kathleen Parker

"We newsmen must always appear objective; truth is a secondary consideration."—Paul Greenberg

• Posted: 02 August 2004 03:57 PM #4

I think banning guests is a bad idea. Perhaps, though, we could have two diffrent registration levels. One standard, as we have now, and another, lesser one, that would be extremely easy (name and birthday only perhaps?). The guests would be allowed to post in the help forums, and the lesser registrerd people could post everywhere. That would encourage people to register, while the tiny amount of work required for a lesser registration would discourage spammers.

Signature

Cadet Robb Loeb, AFROTC
    Det 020