...And the natives became restless…

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:13 PM

I’m a soon-to-be mac addict.  I’m giving the PC to my parental units and buying a mac in the coming weeks - waiting for the big show next month as I don’t want a huge dose of buyer’s remorse.  For now, I just have the new 17” LCD to look at until I buy the CPU.

As I read thru these forums and other info on macs and the new OS X, a term is used that I don’t have any clue what it means.  It’s the term “native”.  Like, “such and such program won’t run natively in OS X.”

I’m pretty techically advanced on the PC side of things, but obviously learning all I can in this transition process.  Thanks for any help or advice.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Posted: 25 June 2001 04:58 PM #1

A native X app is one that is either a Carbon or Cocoa app.  X runs Classic apps too, but in emulation, and so those are not native.

An analogy to the PC world would be running a DOS app (or some other 16-bit app) in Windows 98.  32-bit apps are native to Windows 98, where as the older apps are not.

For the record, the same thing goes for 68K apps and PowerPC apps in the Classic Mac OS.  PowerPC Macs can run programs compiled and developed for 68K versions of the OS, but only through emulation.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 05:14 PM #2

Thanks Bryan.  As you know I’m new to this world and will probably have more simple questions like this in the future.  This forum has been a great place for me to learn.  But, I’m not sure if I’m overstepping any boundaries or forum etiquette by posting such nubile questions.  Is there another method I should use until my knowledge grows? Like other resources…books on mac OS…web sites…???

I know the best learning will be when I finally do get my mac but until then I want to learn as much as I can about them.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Posted: 25 June 2001 05:44 PM #3

Pshaw!  That’s what forums are for, IMNHO, though I am not sure you want to ask “nubile” questions… 

So ask away!

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 11:03 PM #4

On 2001-06-25 19:58, Bryan wrote:
    A native X app is one that is either a Carbon or Cocoa app.  X runs Classic apps too, but in emulation, and so those are not native.

Not to be too picky, but it’s not really emulation is it?  Mac OS 9.1 runs in a sort of simulated and controlled environment, but it’s not actually emulated since it’s already PowerPC code.  Am I way off on this?

Posted: 26 June 2001 03:49 AM #5

Yes, you are way off on this… 

Classic is running as an app, and Classic apps run within that app.  That is emulation.

Signature

• Posted: 26 June 2001 09:06 AM #6

WOW!

-g

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: younggdy on 2001-06-26 12:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: younggdy on 2001-06-26 12:08 ]</font>

• Posted: 26 June 2001 09:48 AM #7

On 2001-06-26 06:49, Bryan wrote:
    Yes, you are way off on this… 

Classic is running as an app, and Classic apps run within that app.  That is emulation.

Yes but…  Classic does not need to translate binaries, like say Virtual PC, because the binaries still run on the processor.  So in that sense, it is not true emulation.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 27 June 2001 07:07 PM #8

I hate to add fuel to the fire here (though that’s what forums are for!), but the way I understand it, Classic isn’t emulated.  It’s real Mac OS 9.1, running on a real PowerPC processor… no emulation happening at all.  It’s just running in its own protected memory space within OS X, that’s all.  No emulation to speak of.

-Dave

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 27 June 2001 08:13 PM #9

You are he from whom all Mac knowledge flows, so I am inclined to believe it. 

Signature