Cell Phones and New York

Posted: 20 July 2001 05:19 PM

Any thoughts on the New York law banning cell phones in the car?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 06:31 PM #1

For clarification, the law doesn’t ban cell phones while driving, they ban people from HOLDING cell phones while driving.  They are allowed, by the law, to use a hands-off device.  In fact, if a person gets a ticket for using a cellphone hands-on while driving , if they show receipt of purchasing a hands-off device within a certain time period ( a few months I think), then the ticket is exempted.  However, that loophole will be closed after December 1st, 2001 (I think that’s the date).

I’m sure that you knew this Bryan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Justin on 2001-06-25 23:55 ]</font>

Posted: 25 June 2001 07:32 PM #2

Actually, I did not know the details, and I appreciate the info! 

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 08:41 PM #3

I like the idea of banning use of hand held cell phone devices while driving.  Of course, I don’t own a cell phone myself.  I think most people who own cell phones don’t like it, and those that don’t, do.  People don’t realize what a hazard they are being, and that everyone else has to be on the extra alert.  They never signal or look over their shoulders and are very inconsiderate.  I applaud NY!

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 10:38 PM #4

It is a good idea to pull over to use the phone if you don’t have a hands-free setup.  People should not use a phone in the car if it is a distraction (ie. if they have to hold it.)  However, it’s hard to say whether a law should be used to control this.

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-26 15:30 ]</font>

• Posted: 26 June 2001 11:07 AM #5

I think it’s crazy. There’s no data that indicates that there are more accidents from people driving with Cell phones. Some people can do it and concentrate fine and some can’t. It’s like punishing everyone for something one person did.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

Posted: 26 June 2001 11:49 AM #6

Yeah!  Preach on Brother Scottk!

Signature

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:06 PM #7

You know, I thought about this while watching CNN earlier…

The congressman who came up with this dumb idea had better not break his own rule. I work for a newspaper and what if ... what if a photographer followed this guy around and caught him on the cell phone while driving? That pic would be worth a million bucks!!!

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:29 PM #8

According to FOX News, there is data that suggests that cell phone uses increases accidents.  However, there is also data that says that eating a hamburger while driving increases accidents.  The main distraction in using a cell phone while driving may not be holding it, so much as concentrating on the actual conversation itself. 

I suppose it’s just a politically correct kind of thing.  You can’t ban people from doing something (using cell phones all together) in their cars unless it absolutely endangers public safety.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:31 PM #9

FYI, I “updated” my post above.  I realize now it sounded like I was in support of the proposal.  What I really meant was that I do think it’s a bad idea to drive while you’re distracted, but I didn’t mean to imply that I think it should be regulated by laws.  I’m really not sure what to say to that.

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-26 15:32 ]</font>

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:33 PM #10

I agree. But next we won’t be able to change the radio station without pulling over. Or turn on the air conditioner. These things take concentration.

I have no trouble talking on a cell phone and driving. I do them fine together.

You know what is tough, though? Eating a Whopper from burger king while driving. That shredded lettuce gets all over your lap. Messy. Real messy.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 06 July 2001 02:54 PM #11

In Texas they just past a law that you can either be drinking your beer while driving or holding your gun…but not both.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Posted: 08 July 2001 09:58 AM #12

I’m all for banning the use of cell phones while driving.  There have been studies that state for every 4 second that you aren’t paying attention to the road, you move one foot.  I realize some people are great multi-taskers.  The majority of the population I think, are not.  I have been in too many close calls with someone who hasn’t been paying attention.  You don’t have enough control driving with one hand while yacking on the phone, IMHO.  Some people even go as far to say that hands-off devices are distracting.  This I can’t see.  It would be like having a conv w/ someone inside the car, or listening to the radio.  However, I don’t see this as being an easy law to enforce.  Yak Yak Yak… oh look theres a trooper call you back in 5 seconds.  Maybe car manufacturers should start putting cell phone scramblers in there cars.

• Posted: 13 July 2001 08:07 AM #13

Ohhh… here’s one of my top ten road-rage-inducers:  you’re at a red light, and the guy in front of you is gassing on the mobile and doesn’t notice when the light changes.  MOVE, you ratbag, MOVE!

I realize some people are great multi-taskers. The majority of the population I think, are not.

Well, I’m ashamed to say I am part of the non-multi-tasking population, at least when it comes to driving.  I’m a nervous enough driver as it is, plus I drive a manual-transmission - I don’t have a spare hand to use the phone anyway.  I’ve been in cars with people who are talking on the phone, changing gears with their free hand, and steering round a corner with their knees, for crying out loud.  You can’t tell me that’s responsible driving.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 13 July 2001 08:20 AM #14

Raena, sounds like that person was just a bad driver anyway…changing gears in the *middle* of the turn. Anyone fond of motosports would have been in the proper gear before the turn!

Anyway, I think that eventually cars will have built in *docks* for cell phones that enable hands-free talking. There’ll be a built in microphone somewhere in the dash and the stereo speakers will handle the audio. Remember when you actually had to purchase a car alarm at a separate shop? Nowadays, almost all cars come with a security system. Same thing. I hope at least.

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 13 July 2001 09:23 AM #15

Actually, these kinds of kits are already available… expensive, though.  I used to work at a telco, and when me and my sales team got a company car to play with (whee!!! ), the car would have a dock just like the one you described in the centre console.  It was *almost* like what you just described.  The microphone wasn’t built-in to the dash (it was wired to the dock, and could be clipped to your lapel or attached to a sucky-cup), but it *did* play the audio through a speaker just above the dock.

And yeah, the guy who was steering with his knees was a godawful driver in the first place; he sure didn’t need a phone to complicate stuff.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.