Why or why not will an Apple branded PDA work?

• Posted: 26 June 2001 01:57 PM #16

I think Apple could make a PDA work for them.  Their are however a couple of things they must remember when creating it.  It can’t be the size of a newton.  It needs to be very small.  A PDA is only useful if it can fit in a pocket.  The newton wouldn’t even fit in most Cargo pants.  If its not that small, than a powerbook would be a more useful computer.  It also needs to run on OS x, and be able to sink most files.  It would work similar to Windows CE.  Except that it sould accully work!! Also Apple has a habit of makeing things really cool, but missing priceranges of the avarge person by alot.  If they had an entery level computer that did very little more that a visor, then a better verson that could do airport, and all these other cool things, that would be great. 

As long as the size and price stay within reason, Apple sould do fine selling PDA’s.

Signature

Friends don’t let friends use Windows!!

• Posted: 26 June 2001 02:52 PM #17

I agree that Apple could do ok with a handheld maybe even their own Palm model.  I remember a rumor about that a long time ago and I have wanted one since then.  I wish they would do it.

Signature

Windows sucks.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 03:53 PM #18

Not a PDA, but a webpad - as part of the iMac. I think it could be here in time for MWNY.

If you don’t think it can be done, go here: http://www.paceblade.com/
    ...and you can be sure Apple will do it a lot better than this!

cheers,
    Chris

• Posted: 26 June 2001 04:25 PM #19

No doubt it can be done, anonymous, I just think Steve is thinking different (HA!) for this go round at expo. Less about the newer products, more into computers and overtaking the competition.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 26 June 2001 04:54 PM #20

Apple could not be successful with a PDA UNLESS they price to be competitive with existing products. People are willing to pay some premium for the famous Apple creativity, but Apple might well price themselves out of the market. Under $500 machines don’t have a lot of space for margin.

BTW: I not only bleed 6 colors, I am a faithful newton user (newt 130 in 1997, replaced with newt 2100 Spring 2000). Palm: tried it (won a Palm V at a convention), didn’t like it. It just couldn’t compete with the Newt.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 05:33 PM #21

At MacHack last Thursday night, Woz entertained questions after his “Fireside Chat”.
    I asked specifically if he thought that Apple would introduce (at some time) an Apple-branded PDA.
    Woz replied “YES”.

Signature

“Photoshop is my Oxygen” - Carol Goodell

“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. 
    Boldness has genius, magic and power in it.”—Goethe

• Posted: 26 June 2001 05:38 PM #22

I don’t doubt that they will. ... I just think now would be an inopertune time considering Palm and Handspring’s performance, and the overall path that I think Steve Jobs wants to take. I’d prefer more concentration on my computer and then a foray into something new (something old, if you count Newton).

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 27 June 2001 01:43 PM #23

On 2001-06-26 15:05, Anonymous wrote:
    Newtons are great.  Ours can read both both my left handeded and my husband’s right handed scrawls without any changes in user settings.  Can’t improve much upon that. 

Apple could make the ibook with a newton interface so you could choose to write on the screen like newton or use it in the traditional way and of course make it lighter weight. 

I really think this is the way to go. An integration of the iBook and Newton would top every other laptop/notebook and PDAs. Portable, great screen size, handwriting recognition… even voice recognition… it would definitely be different!!

Posted: 27 June 2001 01:48 PM #24

That’s very interesting, PixelArtist.  Is there more to the story?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 03:35 PM #25

While I do think an Apple-branded PDA would sell, the question is whether it would sell to any group other than die-hard Mac users who would jettison their Palms and Visors in favor of an Apple-branded handheld that is essentially Palm hardware in an Apple case.

If Apple does make the leap to their own branded PDA, I think they need to not only incorporate full-screen text-input like the Newton, but add Airport support and a desktop synching app ala the Palm Desktop Manager/Claris Organizer, only on a grander scale that would allow email and expense synch.

However, if they were really smart, they’d buy Palm, jettison Palm’s hardware unit, license the Palm OS exclusively to Handspring in exchange for letting Apple bundle a handheld with every Mac they sell for free or at cost. While I know that Jobs has a “one-OS” strategy, he can’t deny that the Palm OS is a hot commodity, maybe even more of an asset than the Palm hardware business. Licensing the Palm OS is the only way that Palm is ever going to actually return to profitabily—Handpspring, Sony and IBM aren’t the only companies who could produce Palm OS-compatible machines.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 03:37 PM #26

I want one - I would love to see a color screen (a beter one than the new palm505) with a Palm OS OS X GUI mix. One that could synch with both infrared and Airport.

I’d love to see it meshed into a cell-phone too, but that’s probably too much to hope for.