Bill Gates, happy to OPEN Windows source code?

• Posted: 28 June 2001 07:13 PM

Anyone care to comment on these excerpts:

“We keep making it easier and easier, and anything people want source code for, we’ll figure out a way to get it to them.”
                          -Bill Gates

“I don’t know that anyone has ever asked for the source code for Word. If they did, we would give it to them.”
                          -Bill Gates

Can be found at ZDNet :

Also, thanks to my friend Wes George for the “heads-up” on this one…

Ed M.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2001-06-26 15:18 ]</font>

• Posted: 28 June 2001 06:56 PM #1

All I have to say is, yeah FREAKIN right!  If I send an email to MS to send me the source code for Office, like they are really going to send it to me.  THat would be like sending me free software.  Like that is going to happen.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 28 June 2001 07:13 PM #2

They don’t even need to open up their source though.  There is plenty of room for proprietary software in today’s market.  They are just being stupid about this whole Open Source issue.

For what it’s worth, go read the comments from the Wintel drones who read my column on MS and Open Source in early May.  Got a ton of them coming in from a link at Yahoo! and their comments are pretty entertaining.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.