What's the most important Apple technology ever?

• Posted: 27 June 2001 07:37 AM #16

Perhaps Apple’s most important contribution after its original “democratization of technology” will be showing that so many technologies can actually be pieced together to behave like they should.

Remember when Mr. Jobs first showed off Disc Burner at the last Macworld? He said something like, “You’re applauding, but you shouldn’t be. This is how it’s SUPPOSED to work.”

Primarily because it’s still vertically integrated, as Mr. Jobs has said before, Apple has managed to actually have all the pieces work together, making the Mac a functional and friendly digital hub.

That’s not a technology, but it is a much sought-after contribution to the technology world.

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 27 June 2001 07:48 AM #17

Antigravity, definitely.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 07:54 AM #18

It’s hard to choose just one. Choosing the three most important technologies would be easier…

But if I think of “the importance” as of something that the whole world will benefit from, then I tend to say OpenDoc.

It came way too early and the world was not ready for it but I think that the idea of a document oriented operating system and component software model will play very important role in the future of IT.

HOnza

• Posted: 27 June 2001 07:54 AM #19

(This is the guy who stated the comment of the MacOS 9 people vs. MacOS X is like the whole Lisa debate). Yay, I finally registered.

But anyway:

The most important thing that Apple has ever invented, is, nonetheless, the MacOS itself. While I don’t consider MacOS X to be a real Operating System as of yet, anything prior is an amazing piece of work. You can’t simply pull an aspect of the system out and say it was their best idea as it is all equally as amazing. From spring loaded folders and pop up windows to Sherlock (not Sherlock 2) and the ‘System Folder’ concept, it all contributes to the most enjoyable experience of a lifetime.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:27 AM #20

1- QuickTime
    2- QuickTime
    3- QuickTime

Too much software depends on it and its potential is too great for any other Apple technology to surpass it. Period

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:37 AM #21

my vote goes for “plug and play” installation of peripherals ... The great thing is that the Mac always worked like that.

But will it continue to be like that?  My digital camera, which I can simply plug into OS 9 and it shows up on the desktop does not work at all in OS X, despite two system upgrades that supposedly increased the USB functionality.

Signature

———————————-
    Scott Genevish
    http://www.genevish.org
    ———————————-

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:38 AM #22

This is not truly an Apple invention but the greatest impact Mac has has is its looks and design. So far everyone is copying the origianal bubblegum colors of the iMacs. Compaq has thier crappy computers with iMac colors. Future Power tried to copy the iMac itself and release it, failed Eyes turn to a good looking computer over the plain ol’ beigh case.

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:50 AM #23

On 2001-06-27 11:37, genevish wrote:

But will it continue to be like that?  My digital camera, which I can simply plug into OS 9 and it shows up on the desktop does not work at all in OS X, despite two system upgrades that supposedly increased the USB functionality.

Did you try the Image Capture (not sure if that is the exact name or not) program in OS X?  Supposedly, you just plug your USB-enabled camera into your computer, open up the above program, and you can download your images from there.  I do not have a USB enabled digicam ( I use a USB smartmedia/compact flash reader), so I haven’t been able to try it.

Signature

The only true wisdom comes from knowing that you know nothing. —-Socrates

Posted: 27 June 2001 09:29 AM #24

Some pretty awesome posts to this topic so far. I am going to have to switch my vote to QuickTime, too.  Certainly QT set the stage for the many multimedia things that have come since.

Honzac, I would have said OpenDoc at the beginning (LONG LIVE CYBERDOG!), but for its lack of success. Had it had more impact…

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 09:38 AM #25

I’m suprised that Cowdog is not on the list

Signature

Growing old is mandatory;
    Growing up is optional.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 09:45 AM #26

The most important technology for Apple has to be QuickTime. I don’t see anything else that comes close with regard to the return on investment. However, the most important technology from Apple is undoubtably FireWire/IEEE 1394.

It’s a tough call to say which is more important overall.  Given the widespread acceptance it’s gained, however, and the fact that Windows XP will be released with support for it, I have to give the edge to FireWire.

Signature

—scott

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:16 AM #27

I vote for Quicktime as well.

On a Mac, MIDI, WAV, MP3, FLI, MPEG, MOV, AVI, TGA, PNG, GIF and JPG files (Plus many more) all can be used by a single program that makes use of Quicktime. QT seamlessly deals with opening, translating and saving files, importing and exporting multimedia through 3rd party devices, and making still images, video, animation, sequenced music, and audio. I haven’t seen a single technology that allows so many dispirate formats and technologies work together, nor touch as many fields as Quicktime does (Video, Audio, Multimedia, Games, even basic productivity)

Quicktime has allowed the use of FireWire, created the field of consumer video editing, and is the backbone of virtually all of Apple’s software products. It showcases the Mac ideas of ease of use, elegance, and being the ‘Digital Hub’ that connects all your digital peripherals to each other.

- http://www.kitsunestudios.com

Posted: 27 June 2001 12:01 PM #28

I have to heartily agree that Quicktime is the most important and pervasive piece of technology Apple ever developed. Think about it this way: What other piece of Apple technology (other than maybe firewire) is preinstalled on at least 95% of all desktop computers? If Apple had given QT the full attention it deserves, then Realplayer and WMP would barely get used by anyone. In many ways, they are still inferior knock-offs. If Apple puts some more effort into making QT what it should be, then we have barely seen a hint of it’s potential. As somebody else hinted at, ever since multimedia was introduced into the computer world, QT has slowly grown to be the greater portion of the Classic Mac OS. I’m curious to see how well it will be integrated into OS X. With Quartz and Aqua, QT has some powerful allies on the Mac.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MOSiX Man on 2001-06-27 15:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MOSiX Man on 2001-06-27 15:06 ]</font>

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 27 June 2001 12:32 PM #29

FireWire is the center of the digital universe.  HDTV, automobiles, audio, and everything else are all using it as the way to connect.  Entire multimedia systems will use FireWire to connect them together.  Macs have FireWire and so do digital camcorders.  Boom Apple along with their movie editing software is the digital video king because of it.  It doesn’t stop there either, as audio adopts firewire it too will become the prefered interface.  It will be used to connect HDTV’s and their tuner boxes.  It will be used to connect every single piece of consumer electronics and if you so desire to your Mac.  From your Mac you will be able to control everything.  Plus with 1394b coming at speeds of 3.2 gigabits/second there is no limit to what it can do.  Firewire can be used to connect hard drives and optical drives as well.  Everything connected to firewire is superfast, supereasy, and plug and play.  No other technology even comes close to touching it.  Want to transfer video directly to a hard drive?  Just plug the digital camcorder into a hard drive via FireWire, that’s it!  Plug anything and everything together into a pervasive multimedia network.  That’s FireWire.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 01:07 PM #30

Firewire is great but not the connection answer for every problem. At present Firewire RAID solutions are WAY behing SCSI in terms of throughput. Even if/when it makes the next jump to 800megabit it will just be hitting the performance of the slowest SCSI RAID arrays.
    At present though, it is not acceptable.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.