What's the most important Apple technology ever?

• Posted: 27 June 2001 01:11 PM #31

My vote is “FireWire”.  The possibilities are huge but its a shame that MS is ahead of us again, as far as, in speed and total implementation into the OS.  DV, Home Audio/Video appliances, Digital appliances, I/O&Power; together and the list goes on.  Also with the head-start on USB v2.0, Apple has a real chance here.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 02:24 PM #32

HyperCard

It didn’t invent programming. It didn’t invent the internet. It just influenced all future development of both.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 03:22 PM #33

I would vote for firewire - there’s so many uses for it, it’s a solid pipe for video, pro digital camera’s provide quick and easy downloads and the connectioins are easy. With SCSI, connections were difficult and the sofware was difficult. I am really thankfull for firewire! Hopefully, the RAID solutions will catch up to SCSI.

One other thing to consider - Apple, for years has produced one innovation after another, or was an early supporter - GUI’s, Mice, Hypercard, Newtons/handhelds, Quicktime, SCSI, Airport, Firewire, USB, and now a GUI over UNIX. Apple has allways taken leadership roles in new technologies, giving us plenty of opportunities to argue which is the best! Way to go Apple!

• Posted: 27 June 2001 05:33 PM #34

...and the ‘System Folder’ concept, it all contributes to the most enjoyable experience of a lifetime.

anyone who thinks that a computer operating system is the most enjoyable experience of a lifetime should really get out more.

And meet some girls.

Or boys, if one prefers.

:-]

Signature

“I have won the essay writing competition, of that there is NO doubt!” - Alan Gordon Partridge

Posted: 27 June 2001 05:36 PM #35

AppleScript!   It gets the coolest factor for me.  Many computer gurus use Macs because they can script it very easily.  Alas, if Apple only babied it as much as it did QT…

I really think Apple’s best tech is QT.  Some people think its good enough to be its own company.  There is an excellenct streaming server, and QT can do so much, and did it at such an early time period in its life.  Some people don’t like Apple just as some don’t like Microsoft, but almost everyone would tell you QT rocks.

Now, for the biggest impact category is the way they refined the GUI.  I know they didn’t invent it, but the way they put it out there on the 128k.  It just worked.  Now look, almost every computer uses a GUI based off the Xerox machine, and well the Xerox machine was based off theories dating back to the 50s.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 05:58 PM #36

Desktop Publishing.

Unlike the windows/mouse GUI, I believe Apple was the first with this (with help from Adobe’s PostScript and PageMaker.) The “toaster” Mac with LaserWriter made this possible. I was doing it in 1986 on a Mac 512KE in high school.

Of course, the fact that I earn my living doing this may have some influence over my vote…

• Posted: 27 June 2001 07:04 PM #37

All excellent nominations. In regards to the importance of any technology they have invented there is one thing that Apple has developed that will eclipse all other products or technologies simply because it is now, and will be far into the future, the basis for all advancement in the platform. All other technologies will be maximized by it.

OSX ! taking the Mac into a new universe of open standards and capabilities not possible with any other operating system. In releasing this product Apple Computer has opened the doors on a new chapter of the digital revolution. If for no other reason that Apple has offered a clearly superior alterative to the Monopoly controlled desktops of 90% of the computer World.

OSX stands a a shining beacon to the oppressed masses about to be assimilated into Mr. Bill’s vision of the future where your access to the internet, and even the software on your hard drive, can be deactivated if you don’t pay your bill to Mr. Bill on time.

All other offerings pale in comparison to the impact on the computer users of the World that OSX brings.

Posted: 27 June 2001 08:09 PM #38

Preach on Brother Aphelion!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:46 PM #39

Whoa there Aphelion!
    While I do support the Mac platform wholeheartedly, I think you’re laying it on a little thick there.

...a shining beacon to the oppressed masses about to be assimilated…

WOW!
    I know quite a few Windows users and I would hesitate to call any one of them opressed. In fact, they all know what MS is about and they made their choices based mainly on the software selection. Heck, most of them even like windows.
    There is a fine line between being a staunch supporter and a zealot. As we try to increase market share, it’s important that people don’t get the wrong idea.

[Please excuse this rant if you post was truly tongue-in-cheek]

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 27 June 2001 09:06 PM #40

Ha!  I say again:  Preach on, Brother Aphelion!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:53 PM #41

Apple didn’t invent CDs but weren’t they the firs computer company to make them work with computers?  I think that’s pretty important too.

Signature

Windows sucks.

• Posted: 28 June 2001 05:19 AM #42

On 2001-06-27 23:46, Photodan wrote:
    Whoa there Aphelion!
    While I do support the Mac platform wholeheartedly, I think you’re laying it on a little thick there.

...a shining beacon to the oppressed masses about to be assimilated…

WOW!
    I know quite a few Windows users and I would hesitate to call any one of them opressed. In fact, they all know what MS is about and they made their choices based mainly on the software selection. Heck, most of them even like windows.
    There is a fine line between being a staunch supporter and a zealot. As we try to increase market share, it’s important that people don’t get the wrong idea.

[Please excuse this rant if you post was truly tongue-in-cheek]

Oh no, Photodan, I meant every every word of it. Microsoft’s .NET initiative is nothing less than a plan to extend their Monopoly on the desktop into Cyberspace. Microsoft wants to be the toll keeper to the World wide web. And while they are at it they are going to end the use of perpetual licenses with their software and force everyone to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. When you stop paying the software stops working.

The hooks to this diabolical plan are already in place. The Microsoft XP products are Trojan Horses. When the software license for the Windows eXPerience is published let’s all read it carefully. Your friends who are Windows users by choice may be less thrilled with the products when they find out that they have been trapped into a never ending payment plan.

As far as zealotry, this is the place. In my day to day life I do other things to support the platform. I keep my responses reasoned, and I point to the strengths of the platform, not to the failings of the other choices that are out there. I buy Apple stock, I bought a cube. I got a job where I can help guide witless windows users to a better future.

As to the Mac and particularly OSX being a “shining beacon” it was to me. I spent a dozen years in the thrall of Windows. I was with it since 1.0, I have run the various incarnations of it on dozens of machines. The tide turned for me with my purchase of a Sony 505 pre-loaded with Win98. Unable to keep it running without a periodic reformat / reload I started looking. When OSX was announced and the plans for .NET were becoming clear returning to Apple became an obvious choice to op-out of Redmond’s grasp. And yes, OSX was that beacon to me. Without OSX I would have been forced to hack an existence in the Linux world.

Most people are clueless as to what is happening in the Industry. The Truth is out there though. A careful reading of the license agreement of WinXP will reveal much. When one of your friends gets “upgraded” to XP please have him read and then post the license that comes with it.

But, not to stray off topic.. OSX’s importance as an Apple “invention” transends all others because it is the only viable alternative to the eXPerience that awaits the unwary. And by the way, in my humble opinion, Quicktime, because it is cross-platform, is the second most important

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aphelion on 2001-06-28 08:25 ]</font>

• Posted: 28 June 2001 06:58 AM #43

[Moderator, please move this and the last few applicabale posts to RANTS so it can be continued without being off-topic]

Aphelion, I’m glad you found the Mac and I’m happy it is a good fit for you. I also totally agree with you about Microsoft’s plans. Bill Gates has so much money it bores him, so he’s out to accumulate power now.

I hope MS goes through with their plans.

Yup, that’s what I said. I want to give him just enough rope to hang himself. Corporate America MAY accept the licensing plan but the public will not. Look at how many people upgraded to WinME. (or should I say didn’t upgrade?) The same cheap nature that drives people to save $100 and but a windows box will keep them running old OS software for as long as they can. If they would have needed to pay for every year they ran Win95 they never would have bought it in the first place.

The way I size things up, Apple is in a great position with OSX at the exact right time. I don’t believe that MS’ new business practices will send people running to the Mac but it will sour people’s taste for the Microsoft teet. And when those people start looking for an alternative, there sits the Mac. It is running a UNIX OS with a bullet-proof reputation, (Ye Gods, UNIX is a great name brand to use!) and it users are a good group of people, willing (wanting!) to help each other out. They aren’t frothing at the mouth or raving lunatics. Just good people who would like nothing better than to let other people change their own minds.
    If some people can’t see the way to happiness with a Mac, give it some time.

Bill will help them.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 28 June 2001 06:17 PM #44

While Apple didn’t invent it, WYSIWYG throughout the OS and practically requiring it in applications is a fundamental part of the user experience. We now see fonts, spacing, sizes, and everything else on our screen the way they will print (more or less). We take this for granted, but it didn’t used to be this way. Apple pushed it through.

Eric

• Posted: 28 June 2001 06:44 PM #45

Anyone mention the mouse yet?  I guess technically they didn’t really invent it, but they brought it to the masses.  Just like the GUI.  Apple invented True Type fonts.  And the trackpad (maybe that wasn’t so good)

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.