Quicktime question

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:03 AM

I am a little confused about something. I know that Quicktime reads .mpg and .mov files. Are there any other files that it can read? And what are .avi files? Are those specifically windows and not openable (is that a word?) on a Mac? Could you open a .avi file with PC exchage, then? I have a friend out of state who has a home video in .avi format. When I try to open it, I see a blank movie board and I hear a quick burst of sound followed by silence. I have always used .mpg so I didn’t understand this unknown format. There’s no error telling me it’s unknown, and I think that is the part that confuses me. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 26 June 2001 09:40 PM #1

Heck yes it’ll open AVI files. Check out this page from Apple’s site:
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/specifications.html
    It’s amazing just what QT will open.

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 09:44 PM #2

Well, Dan, ok, I read all that and I tried to open the file again. I have two .avi files and neither will open. I get a blank white screen and nothing more. I don’t understand how to open it. Any ideas?

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 27 June 2001 09:54 AM #3

There is a TIL article on this issue. http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30506

The problem you are having is that the AVI file is probably some form of MPEG-4 AVI file, of which there is currently no plugin available for the Mac.  That is one reason so many people have complained to apple about lack or MPEG-4 compatibility.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:03 AM #4

You are right Retro. I just asked my Mac tech at work, thinking maybe he would know, and that’s what he told me. MPEG-4 codec, and that it’s a source of annoyance in PC world and the use of dual platforms. Ouch. Maybe someday. thanks for the direction. that helped a lot.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA