iMovie question

• Posted: 27 June 2001 11:02 AM

I have a digital camera with quicktime movie capability (saves files in a .mov format). I do NOT have a video camera per se. Is there anything I can do with iMovie or must I specifically have a video camera? Can I do anything with the stills to turn it into a slide show, or do I need something like Powerpoint to do that. I’m worried that I am confusing my software. Right now, iMovie just sits on my hard drive. I have never used it and I’d like to know if I am making a mistake by not doing so. Thanks again.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 27 June 2001 12:35 AM #1

You can import image files in iMovie and set their duration for a longer amount of time as a sort of slide show.  Go to the File menu and select “Import File….”

As for video files, create a new iMovie project and use QuickTime Pro (if you have it… if not, use the MoviePlayer app from a previous version of QuickTime), to export a file as a DV stream.  Drop that file in your project folder, and next time you open your project it should ask if you want to place the stray video in the tray.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:54 AM #2

So, David, it is easy then to import stills into iMovie? I have to play with it. I looked at it and it looked difficult, although I know it really isn’t. Interesting, because my photos—sunsets and stuff—would make for a nice slideshow. Thank you for that.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 27 June 2001 09:18 AM #3

To import still photos into iMovie:

[list=1][*]Go to file menu, select “Import file”
    [*]Choose the file you want to import.
    [*]There is no step three…[/list:o]

The still frame will appear in the clips drawer with a duration of ten seconds (10:00 means 10 seconds, plus zero frames. There are 30 frames per second.)

Drag several frames to the timeline and drag a cross-fade effect between each one…

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: genevish on 2001-06-27 12:21 ]</font>

Signature

———————————-
    Scott Genevish
    http://www.genevish.org
    ———————————-

• Posted: 27 June 2001 09:19 AM #4

Also, note that the mov file produced by your camera will probably look terrible in iMovie…

Signature

———————————-
    Scott Genevish
    http://www.genevish.org
    ———————————-

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:13 AM #5

First of all, it seems many people in here are named Scott. That’s a good thing. But you can still stay, Bryan.

Second, thank you, Scott from Georgia for that tutorial. That seems easy. I am going to try it now.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:27 AM #6

Ok. I started with 2 pictures and imported them. I see them in the grid thing. Here’s what I don’t get—and it’s everything

1. How do I drag the cross section fade thing into it?
    2. How do I see the slideshow play? When I hit play, I see the first photo and it sits there while the bar goes across for 4.32 seconds.

Help!

I was able to make a title. that was easy!

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 27 June 2001 11:02 AM #7

I FIGURED IT OUT!

I really like it with still clips. I imagine video is so cool! Wow!!

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA