Tab -> Spacebar = Submit Post (pleeeeeease?)

• Posted: 13 January 2005 07:51 PM

Okay, so in order to reply to a post, I must submit using my mouse.  This sucks, but can and should be improved.

My suggestion is to switch the order of “preview” and “submit” and to be able to tab once out of the text box to select “submit” (in it’s new place) and hit spacebar to post.

As it currently stands, you can tab twice to select “submit”, but upon hitting the spacebar, the preview button depresses and you preview your post.

So really getting spacebar to activate the selected button would be top priority, and then maybe switching the order would be next (I hardly ever preview my posts)

Posted: 14 January 2005 09:45 PM #1

Thanks for the suggestion spxyu02.  phpBB has written in all these keyboard shortcuts which I’ve never been able to figure out.  I think they only work on windows but if someone wants to correct me, please let me know how to get them to work.  As for the posting form, I suppose it would be helpful to have a keyboard shortcut to post.  What browser do you use?  I’m using Safari, and I can’t figure out how to select/activiate either the preview or submit button using the return key or spacebar.

(Oh and if anyone has figured out a shortcut key to submit posts, could you share?  Thanks)

• Posted: 16 January 2005 12:36 PM #2

[quote author=“Burnum”]As for the posting form, I suppose it would be helpful to have a keyboard shortcut to post.  What browser do you use?  I’m using Safari, and I can’t figure out how to select/activiate either the preview or submit button using the return key or spacebar.

I’m also using safari.  Once I type in a reply, like I am doing here, I hit tab once and the Preview button is highlighted, and when I hit it again, the Submit button is highlighted.  Normally when this happens in other apps, I can hit the spacebar and the highlighted button will turn all blue, and it’s action will happen.  But when I Submit is highlighted, I press spacebar and Preview lights up instead (wtf?).  If that one thing could get fixed, it would make life a whole lot easier, but I have no idea how easy that is to get to.

Posted: 16 January 2005 08:02 PM #3

don’t know which version of Safari you all are using, but mine doesn’t even begin to tab down to the preview or submit buttons.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 16 January 2005 08:06 PM #4

[quote author=“Spider”]don’t know which version of Safari you all are using, but mine doesn’t even begin to tab down to the preview or submit buttons.

1.2.4 (v125.12)

I have “full keyboard access” turned on under the keyboard shortcuts tab in the keyboard & mouse section of system preferences.  When I turn it off, I begin to tab up, instead of down, which is the craziest stuff I’ve ever seen.  I believe that “tab—> spacebar” would be totally awesome.

http://www.blamonet.com/vb has it set up this way, for reference

Posted: 16 January 2005 09:09 PM #5

Ah, forgot to turn that back on. Had to kill my sysconfig files a bit ago because my Airport stopped working. Ended up fixing the problem and fixing some others as well. Nothing like corrupt configs to mess things up.

Now safari does tab to those buttons. and you are right, space bar, return, and enter do go back to Preview.

In form elements, there is a way to tell which ones can be tabbed to and which are dominant, but I am at a loss to tell exactly how to do it at the moment.

I am sure Raena would know.

Signature

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

Posted: 16 January 2005 11:41 PM #6

I always preview my posts, but if most people don’t then to fix it you can switch the order of the buttons so the submit button is before the preview button. You might also want to change the tab order on the buttons.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

Posted: 18 January 2005 12:48 AM #7

[quote author=“Burnum”](Oh and if anyone has figured out a shortcut key to submit posts, could you share?  Thanks)

“Control+S” works for me.

“Control+B” adds the bold tag to your post, “Control+Q” adds the Quote tag, and so forth.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

Posted: 18 January 2005 01:04 AM #8

the Doc is right. control+s works to submit.

interesting…must be the BB code or something…

Signature

Posted: 18 January 2005 01:07 AM #9

[quote author=“Spider”]must be the BB code or something…

Its the accesskey=“s” on the form element smile

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

• Posted: 18 January 2005 03:35 AM #10

Brad, are you so lazy that you’re continuing to complain because you have to hit “Tab” twice instead of once?

Signature

Cadet Robb Loeb, AFROTC
    Det 020

• Posted: 18 January 2005 03:22 PM #11

[quote author=“AFCdtLoeb”]Brad, are you so lazy that you’re continuing to complain because you have to hit “Tab” twice instead of once?

Well it’s not hitting tab twice, but it’s that there’s no way to activate the button.  I don’t like that I have to touch my mouse at all.  *tries ctrl+s*

EDIT: ctrl+s works!  praise the lord!

Posted: 18 January 2005 03:25 PM #12

and without tabbing, too.

we all owe Doc a Guinness.

:D

Signature