crashes with Netscape, IE

• Posted: 28 June 2001 11:21 AM

Since I have had my CD burner (Yamaha Firewire 8824), every time that I burn a CD and then turn the burner off, my computer will freeze.  (The mouse can move but everything else is unresponsive.)  Consequently, I leave the burner on until I turn off the computer (G4/400/512; OS 9.0.4).  When I reboot, both Netscape(4.7) and Internet Explorer will freeze the computer totally (force quit will also freeze).  What is interesting is that I can still get online with my email program (First class) and go to weather stations with Son-of Grok Weather.  What would affect both Netscape and IE, but allow me to go online with these others? (cable modem)

The only way that I can use Netscape or IE is to use Disk Warrior to rebuild the directory. (Disk First Aid and Norton see no problems.)

I have upgraded from OS 8.6 to 9 to try and solve the problem and from the Toast OEM to Titanium, and gotten the latest firewire upgrade from Apple, all to no avail.

Now, I have discovered that if I play an audio CD and then try to go online while it is playing, the same type of freeze will happen. 

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be?

• Posted: 27 June 2001 11:14 AM #1

Are there any Yamaha specific firewire drivers in your extensions folder? Have you checked with Yamaha to see if there are any known issues like those?
    -D

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 27 June 2001 07:15 PM #2

If you are using Disc Burner extensions, the Firewire drive will be considered “active” anytime it’s plugged in and turned on, similar to a hard drive.  The only way to get around this would be to

(a) eject any cd’s in the drive
    (b) unplug the firewire cable from the back of the drive (or computer)
    (c) turn off the drive.

That should do it.

-Dave

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 28 June 2001 10:42 AM #3

Thanks for the replies.  No, there are no Yamaha extensions - they are in the Toast OEM that comes with the burner.  And I do not have disc burner installed. (I did contact Yamaha when I first got the burner.  They told me to update my OS to 9 and install the latest Apple firewire extensions, which I did. It didn’t help.)

• Posted: 28 June 2001 11:21 AM #4

On 2001-06-28 13:42, nhow wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.  No, there are no Yamaha extensions - they are in the Toast OEM that comes with the burner.  And I do not have disc burner installed. (I did contact Yamaha when I first got the burner.  They told me to update my OS to 9 and install the latest Apple firewire extensions, which I did. It didn’t help.)

I have heard that there is a conflict between Toast and Apple’s new Firewire extensions.  Not sure why it would cause your browser to crash, but you could try it.  Try disabling an extension Firewire External Devices, or something like that.  Its a new version included with iTunes.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.