New HD in Pismo

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:55 AM

I’m going to replace my 6 gig hardrive with a 20 gig Travelstar. I’ve already got a firewire case for the old drive to use for backup. Would it be possible to install the 20 gig drive in the firewire case, set it up, copy everthing onto it from the internal 6 gig drive, including the system stuff, then swap the drives (6 gig to the external case, 20 gig to the powerbook case), boot from my backup CD, and set the 20 gig drive to be the startup? I have a feeling that for some reason it won’t work, but I thought I’d ask for input!

Thanks for your help.

Brad

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:55 AM #1

On 2001-06-27 13:51, Brad wrote:
    I’m going to replace my 6 gig hardrive with a 20 gig Travelstar. I’ve already got a firewire case for the old drive to use for backup. Would it be possible to install the 20 gig drive in the firewire case, set it up, copy everthing onto it from the internal 6 gig drive, including the system stuff, then swap the drives (6 gig to the external case, 20 gig to the powerbook case), boot from my backup CD, and set the 20 gig drive to be the startup? I have a feeling that for some reason it won’t work, but I thought I’d ask for input!

Thanks for your help.

Brad

In a word, yes.  The computer doesn’t know the difference between one drive and another at startup.  I’m 99% sure that this will work.  But hey, even if it doesn’t you can always go back to your original config without a problem.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.