Mac: A Personal Computer, but NOT a PC…

• Posted: 08 July 2001 09:19 PM

I have a friend who refers to my iMac as my “PC”.  Macs are perhaps the most personal of all computers, yet they are a far cry from PCs.  Reinstalling drivers for your “A” drive?  Safe Mode?  These are not the signs of a real personal computer.  PC should refer to Macs, and Wintel computers should go by something else.  How about iPC, for impersonal computer?  Who’s with me!? 

Posted: 27 June 2001 06:18 PM #1

Ha!  Preach on, Brother David!

Tell us the rest of this story. I’ve caught pieces of it outside the forums, and I think you should share it.  It’s pretty funny.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 08:46 PM #2

I’m really not that offended with Macs referred to as PC’s, but I’m new to the Mac world.  To me, a PC is just that - a personal computer….now a P4, that’s different.

But, I would love to hear the rest of the story…

Signature

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 09:34 PM #3

I hate the name “PC” but what I hate more is when PC users call a Mac a MAC Damn you all, MAC is not a dumb acronym for something that some uncreative person thought up.  Plus PC makes me think of “Politically Correct” which makes me hurl.  Windows Media Player.  Quicktime.  Office.  Appleworks.  Hi my name is Microsoft, and I read “dictionary for idiots”.  Hmm what should I call our new product?  Well what does it do?  DUH.

Sorry, this isn’t the rant room, is it?

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 27 June 2001 10:54 PM #4

But Macs are personal computer and I think they are the most personal of computers.

Signature

Windows sucks.

• Posted: 28 June 2001 10:12 AM #5

On 2001-06-28 01:54, Alfonzo wrote:
    But Macs are personal computer and I think they are the most personal of computers.

True dat. I’ve often reflected, when I’m bored and my toenails no longer hold my attention, that it’s a shame the term “PC” can no longer be applied to the Mac, the computer that most deserves the title. Ah, irony.

Oh look! A penny!

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 29 June 2001 10:58 PM #6

Brother David,
    I know how you feel, but Wintels don’t own the rights to the term “PC”.  If we take an attitude of irritation of having our Macs referred to as such ? indeed when we ourselves are not calling them PC’s ? we marginalize the platform even further than it already is to many millions of “PC” users.  We are saying “...well, it’s not actually a PC, it’s a Mac.”  And what our Winsmell friends HEAR when we say that is, “...well, it’s not actually a PC, it’s ONLY a Mac.”

Jack

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

• Posted: 30 June 2001 02:17 AM #7

Jack, you make a good point.  It is indeed important to keep Wintel users from thinking that we ourselves don’t consider Macs to be in the same category as “real” computers. However, I made the statement about the accuracy of the term “PC” jokingly, so hopefully if a PC… err, Wintel… user does read it they won’t interpret it to mean that I don’t belive Macs are normal computers.  In fact they are, it’s just that they also have some big differences as far as style and ease of use go.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-30 05:18 ]</font>

• Posted: 30 June 2001 05:47 AM #8

Telling a WinTel user that his computer is not a “real” computer is like insulting his manhood.  Telling a Mac User that his computer is not a “real” computer is like insulting his intelligence.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 30 June 2001 09:41 AM #9

Wellll….Maybe, it’s all geographical….Here east of the Brazos,when he term PC is used, all who hear it automatically identify with Windows.  When the term Mac or MAC is used everyone automatically identifies with something above and beyond Windows….like ” WOW, You have a Mac?”  So, I think actions speak louder than words and words about actions get around.  I do think that Apple could help this along a little better though.  The Mac Stores are a good start.

George

• Posted: 30 June 2001 11:17 AM #10

On 2001-06-30 12:41, younggdy wrote:
    Wellll….Maybe, it’s all geographical….Here east of the Brazos,when he term PC is used, all who hear it automatically identify with Windows.  When the term Mac or MAC is used everyone automatically identifies with something above and beyond Windows….like ” WOW, You have a Mac?”

Ha, ha… it’s good to hear that somewhere there is a place where people will be impressed if you have a Mac.

Every PC user I’ve talked to (at least those who are big on computers, not just casual users) either says that Macs are no good, or they start reciting a list of ways a Mac is incompatible, etc., and isn’t worth bothering with.

Posted: 30 June 2001 12:51 PM #11

On 2001-06-30 08:47, Retro wrote:
    Telling a WinTel user that his computer is not a “real” computer is like insulting his manhood.  Telling a Mac User that his computer is not a “real” computer is like insulting his intelligence.

Nice observation, Retro!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 30 June 2001 02:36 PM #12

David….I don’t mind fries with that and long as I get the Mac as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dummy on 2001-06-30 17:46 ]</font>

• Posted: 05 July 2001 04:51 PM #13

“I have a friend who refers to my iMac as my “PC”. Macs are perhaps the most personal of all computers, yet they are a far cry from PCs. Reinstalling drivers for your “A” drive? Safe Mode? These are not the signs of a real personal computer. PC should refer to Macs, and Wintel computers should go by something else. How about iPC, for impersonal computer? Who’s with me!?”

Macs ARE PCs.  “Reinstalling drivers for your “A” drive? Safe Mode?”
    I’ve never had to do it. I’ve never heard of anyone having to re-install a driver for the “A” drive. As a matter of fact, I’ve never had to re-install any drivers OR re-install Windows 95 or 98. The ONLY thing that crashes is IE, like on a Mac. Maybe once or twice a week. Nothing else crashes. Most of the time I have Eudora, Free Agent and IE going along with a full screen DOS program (Satellite tracking) and my DELL D300 never complains, all with only 64 megs of ram. I have 2 USB ports and hot swap between a digital camera, a Canon scanner and a Visor hand held palm with no troubles at all. Man, Mac users sure like to bash PCs…

Posted: 06 July 2001 08:47 AM #14

Everything from hobby projects to the Altair was considered a PC.  PC was used to differentiate between a Mainframe and something that could sit on your desk.  The confusion came when IBM decided to make a PC and use the title in the product name - IBM PC, IBM PC Jr.  People accepted this incorrect idea that PCs were IBMs.  IBMs, then IBM compatibles, then when IBM almost fell, Wintel machines.  If every computer company had tagged the PC at the end of their product (the Apple PC), there wouldn’t be any of this today.  I use the term computer.  People may still think of the Wintel machine, but it feels more general.

• Posted: 06 July 2001 11:25 AM #15

“Reinstalling drivers for your “A” drive? Safe Mode?”
    I’ve never had to do it. I’ve never heard of anyone having to re-install a driver for the “A” drive. As a matter of fact, I’ve never had to re-install any drivers OR re-install Windows 95 or 98. The ONLY thing that crashes is IE, like on a Mac. Maybe once or twice a week. Nothing else crashes. Most of the time I have Eudora, Free Agent and IE going along with a full screen DOS program (Satellite tracking) and my DELL D300 never complains, all with only 64 megs of ram. I have 2 USB ports and hot swap between a digital camera, a Canon scanner and a Visor hand held palm with no troubles at all.

I’m happy to hear that your PC works with so few problems.  My experience with my friend’s PC has been horrible.  I can’t imagine what else could happen to make it worse.  Right now it won’t boot and will be sent in for a checkup. 
    And now you HAVE heard of someone having to reinstall the driver for their A drive. 
    You say “The ONLY thing that crashes is IE, like on a Mac.”  In fact, in my expereince IE is one the most stable programs I have used on a Mac.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have seen it crash on my iMac.  I must say Microsoft did a good job on this one.

Man, Mac users sure like to bash PCs…

I do not “like” to bash PCs.  I don’t go around saying PCs are stupid or making false claims.  I am simply talking about my experiences with PCs and relating them to my preference for the Mac.