iPod to the rescue!

Posted: 26 October 2001 05:31 PM

I posted this over at MacAddict Forums yesterday, and was curious what folks here think.

While looking at the iPod info, the FAQ listed had an interesting tidbit. Although unsupported by Apple, the iPod could be used as a startup disk in FireWire mode.

Hmmm, now that’s interesting. That just upped the advantage for the iPod. If I load a minimal system folder, a diagnostic program (Norton, Techtool, Diskwarrior), and a virus checker, I could have an instant Mac emergency disk. It’ll run far faster than an emergency CD, can be updated with the newest system files and virus updates at any time, and dosen’t need the full version of Toast to make it bootable.

Hmmm, the whole FAQ has been taken down… Hope this wasn’t too much of a leap of logic.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 26 October 2001 11:28 AM #1

I believe that would work just fine, actually.  For those with the leftover space (after adding their music), that definitely enhances the potential usefulness of the iPod.  It would make you look cool too, when you sheen over to your friend’s house to fix his Mac and hook up your “little FireWire thingee.”  You could tell him/her that it’s a special diagnostic tool or something.

Anyway, I am getting sidetracked by silliness.  You definitely raise a good point!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 26 October 2001 11:29 AM #2

That sounds like a great idea Jon, but is that what you want an MP3 player for? I guess if you expected problems while experimenting with software you could set up your iPod for that, but would you want to give up music space on the drive on a regular basis?

Again, I suppose so but it just seems to me that there are cheaper ways of doing it.

Signature

Posted: 26 October 2001 01:32 PM #3

On 2001-10-26 14:29, Ahnyer Keester wrote:
    That sounds like a great idea Jon, but is that what you want an MP3 player for?

No but I don’t need to spend $216 on the cheapest ultraportable FireWire hard drive and $50 on the pro version of Toast if I buy an iPod. If I don’t say “This is an MP3 player that stores files” or “This is a hard drive that plays music”, it’s possible to see this as a device that fills both roles. In other words, if I have need for all three aspects, this could be considered a $149 MP3 player, a $219 ultraportable bootable FireWire HD, and a $50 copy of Toast. That’s worth my money right there. Some people may need a bigger hard drive, or toast for other things, but not me.

And as for giving up the space, yes I would. I can’t hear 5 GB worth of MP3s in a 10 hour battery charge, and my work day is only 8 hours. I could store roughly 8 hours of uncompressed CD-quality AIFF audio on that thing and still have enough space leftover for system recovery and diagnostic, as well as being able to swap the entire contents with a new playlist for the next day in less time than it takes to recharge the battery. =)

Signature

-Jon Roth

• Posted: 26 October 2001 03:36 PM #4

On 2001-10-26 16:32, KitsuneStudios wrote:

In other words, if I have need for all three aspects, this could be considered a $149 MP3 player, a $219 ultraportable bootable FireWire HD, and a $50 copy of Toast. That’s worth my money right there.
    [SNIP]
    And as for giving up the space, yes I would. I can’t hear 5 GB worth of MP3s in a 10 hour battery charge, and my work day is only 8 hours.

Excellent points and all very well taken. So, can I talk you into buying me an iPod now?

Signature

Posted: 26 October 2001 05:31 PM #5

Sorry fella, I’m waiting until next summer when my credit cards are paid off. I’m still paying off my Cube. 

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KitsuneStudios on 2001-10-26 20:33 ]</font>

Signature

-Jon Roth